Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: How to install Kali Linux to Hard Disk

Hello,
    I followed the installation process from the kali linux docs but I've run into a problem: when I try to do the partition of the hard drive an error appears saying: "Partition(s) 2 on dev/sda have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use. As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in use. You should reboot before making any further changes".
    There are to options: ignore or cancel

What should I do?
    Thanks

I am trying to install kali linux. I downloaded the iso file and used win32 disk imager to write it to a usb stick. I put it in the computer and followed the graphical install steps. However at the end it says to reboot to load the system. When I do it goes onto a screen which says /dev/sda1 clean 337450/9715712 files, 2930973/38843136 blocks. It then will not do anything more. I have tried this with two hard drives. What is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by brunolzo View Post
    Hello,
    I followed the installation process from the kali linux docs but I've run into a problem: when I try to do the partition of the hard drive an error appears saying: "Partition(s) 2 on dev/sda have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use. As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in use. You should reboot before making any further changes".
    There are to options: ignore or cancel

What should I do?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by louiepi View Post
    I am trying to install kali linux. I downloaded the iso file and used win32 disk imager to write it to a usb stick. I put it in the computer and followed the graphical install steps. However at the end it says to reboot to load the system. When I do it goes onto a screen which says /dev/sda1 clean 337450/9715712 files, 2930973/38843136 blocks. It then will not do anything more. I have tried this with two hard drives. What is wrong.
    Hello,

I have been installing Kali multiple times, on multiple laptops of mine, with different hard drives. I have used one and the same method each time and it always worked for me.
    - downloaded desired version of Kali
    - insert empty DVD in the laptop
    - open Roxio Creator 2012 Pro and burn disc image (for additional information if needed please ask)
    - after Roxio finishes and DVD is done I open Mini Tool Partition Wizard Server Edition
    - I create a partition with the desired space I need (in my case I always do 100GB because I like to play around and try stuff, plus it never hurts to have more)
    - after creating it, I leave it blank and empty. no additional partitioning
    - turn off laptop
    - turn laptop back on >> insert DVD >> choose to boot from CD/DVD >> follow instructions for installation
    - Kali finds the free space (the partition I have created earlier) and I choose that same partition
    - Kali asks if I want to partition the free space or to leave it up to Kali to do so >> always was choosing Kali to do it and it worked every time
    - then I just wait for installation and everything works

Encountered issues:

ISSUE: When rebooting and trying to start from the CD/DVD it doesn't work and just starts the operating system.
    SOLUTION: Make sure when you are burning the ISO to the CD/DVD that the speed is the slowest.

ISSUE: During Kali installation, having different types of partition issues.
    SOLUTION 1: Went back to Windows >> open Mini Tool Partition Wizard Server Edition >> wipe the created partition >> restart process >> success
    SOLUTION 2: Solution 1 doesn't work >> start windows >> open Mini Tool Partition >> delete partition >> restart laptop >> open Mini Tool Partition >> create partition with desired GB >> restart process from beginning >> success

ISSUE: After Kali install none OS is starting
    SOLUTION: Hiren's Boot CD or UBCD(Ultimate Boot CD)

Hope I managed to help.