Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to install Kali Linux to Hard Disk

Hello,
    I downloaded the 64 bit Kali 2.2016 version and burned the image to a dvd.

The start of the installation via the graphical installation runs without problems.

As a goal I would like to use my external hitachi 300gb hard drive. This is from a macbook in a kingston case via usb.

The installation runs without problems on a compaq presario cq57. As soon as the installation is finished and the cd is removed, but I will not get a boot menu.

Whether I install the entire hard disk without LVM or with LVM or encryption.

The bootloader I have to install on the external USB hard drive during the installation. Not directly to the internal Windows 7 version. Is there maybe the error? Does not the boot loader to the Windows version have to Kali?

I get a black screen with a blinking cursor and nothing happens.

The previous system, I have the same installed but this did not work properly after apt-get upgrade and synaptic.

There broke the boot process off and said I should try again later.

So I wanted to repeat the installation on the external hard drive.

I formatted the external HDD via windows with an exFAT partition.

Where is the error and how can I fix this?

I hope you can help me.

Thank you very much.

i have exactly the same error as Min0rMirrow (above post ).
    After successful installation i reboot and i end up with a black screen with a blinking cursor and nothing happens.
    i tried many versions of Kali but still can't boot after installation.
    Strangely, i can live boot the OS without problem.
    I saw a lot people here having the same issue - do we have any hope ? - meaning is it possible some PCs/laptops to be unable to work with Kali 2.0 ?

Most of the time, "black screen with a blinking cursor" means graphical card issue. You don't have this with Live USB / CD because it uses a generic driver and doesn't try to fit your hardware configuration.

Hi.

I am trying to install 2016.2 64 bit version on HP 6730b (intel core 2 duo CPU) 4 GB RAM, plenty of HDD space on C. The first screen appears well, then when I choose "Graphical install", the same screen but without Boot menu appears and it stays like this for ages.

Should I wait because my PC is old and weak or I have to choose another option to install it?

Its been a while since the last time i tried to install Kali 2.0 and still no hope..(still stack to black screen after successful installation on HDD ). I wanted to dual boot (with win10 - had disabled the fast boot- it doesn't have UEFI - bought this laptop during 2009 ).
    I also tried older versions of Kali,weekly Kali distros,MINT,openSUSE-Leap and Ubuntu ( here i gave up the dual boot idea... i just want Linux on my laptop).
    In every case(distro) after successful installation i get black screen ( with blinking cursor at top left..).
    The "funny" part , win10 and win7 (which i tried) have no problem during installation/boot (even with dual boot everything works fine).
    My fear is that i may need to upgrade my BIOS.
    " Important" Info From my BIOS:
    SATA MODE SELECTION are [AHCI] or [IDE] (Legacy USB support &Legacy Boot i have left both enabled).
    I haven't see anywhere/anyone pointing out the graphical drivers as the reason of the "black screen with a blinking cursor" error - so thanks for the idea(hope google helps- by the way my graphic card is nViDIA G 105M and the BIOS build date 03/05/09).
    Sorry for dragging a bit this post.. i just want to verify for sure whats the problem since even if i find it i will need some days of googling (yeap i suck) to make it work...
    Also if anyone has manage to install Kali 2.0 with [AHCI] or [IDE] ?

Ps. I also tried :to install manually grub with live boot in every "hope it works" location (/dev/sda, /dev/sda1 ,...,) .No hope obviously.

UPDATE:
    I will assume you want 1 OS on your PC. I am not pro on this field so i can only give u some silly ideas- hope something helps.
    1.You may have done something wrong when u were creating the USB. try your USB on another PC ( even if u press install it need some steps to install- don't fear it ).
    2.Check your BIOS . Having UEFI enable and Secure Boot Disable are some common "solutions" i saw, during my google search.

Wish i could write you another 2-3 "ideas" but i also suck/still trying to install Kali....
    Hope u have better luck/skills.
    Last edited by maiki; 2017-02-20 at 10:39. Reason: Merge posts

I succesfully boot into Kali 2016.2 on a macbook pro from a usb stick made with mac linux loader (see here)

It does not use grub but rather a boot loader named 'enterprise boot loader'. Going into advanced options allows selection of the kali installer. When this starts, it looks for a CD ROM. What is that??

No, really, I know what that is but why would a usb stick be looking for a cd rom? Is the installation process a function of this boot loader? Is there an executable somewhere on the Kali live distro that can do the installation to a partition on my hard disk?

I've literally spent over 50 hours trying to get Kali and Windows 10 Pro to dual boot on my 2016 X1 Carbon Gen 4. I'm pretty sure I'm having a Grub issue like a lot of people do. I have secure boot disabled, quick boot disabled, UEFI support only with CSM disabled and the computrace permanently disabled. I used Win32 Disk Imager to write. I've verified the SHA1 hash. It's strange that each time I try an install I have to repair the USB drive with diskpart. Not sure why that's always the case when writing an image with Win32 Disk Imager. I've experienced different errors with different installation attempts, all from the same *.iso and USB drive. I've tried using other USB drives. Up until recently I've been able to select the Grub install during setup, but lately that option has disappeared and the install automatically installs Grub to wherever without giving me a prompt to do it myself like it has in the past. No idea why that is happening. Even persists after reformatting the USB drive and rewriting Kali. I tried Rufus and the install won't even load upon reboot. I'm just burned out trying this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, does it matter that the Kali install recognizes my USB drive as /dev/sda as opposed to the hdd? I ran into an issue yesterday where out of the blue the EFI partition would no longer allow me to use it as an EFI partition. No idea why. Completely random. Haven't changed a thing. The option from the "use as" menu for the EFI partition doesn't even list the option to use as EFI anymore. It just randomly disappeared. But even before that, when it was fine, I couldn't boot to Grub. Booting straight into Windows, no option in Boot menu to select Kali to boot. Some guides/videos say you need to convert your drive to MBR, others don't even bother and they appear to reboot into Kali just fine.

hey guys i am trying to install kali linux and make my laptop dual booted with windows10, but i keep on getting this error while installation saying that missing firmware files : : rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw rt3290.bin. i have checked even the sha1 of the iso file i downloaded and it is correct. Please help me

Quote Originally Posted by nishigrandhi View Post
    hey guys i am trying to install kali linux and make my laptop dual booted with windows10, but i keep on getting this error while installation saying that missing firmware files : : rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw rt3290.bin. i have checked even the sha1 of the iso file i downloaded and it is correct. Please help me
    That's not an error. That is a missing driver of your ethernet. Installer is simply asking you to provide this driver from USB otherwise you will have to copy thisdriver in /lib/firmware after the installation.

In my case, the installation simply claims that "no kernel module was found"! The tutorial demonstrates an installation identical to my experiences with Debian, it indicates that there is something wrong with my procedure. Could someone help me???

Hello,
    I followed the installation process from the kali linux docs but I've run into a problem: when I try to do the partition of the hard drive an error appears saying: "Partition(s) 2 on dev/sda have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use. As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in use. You should reboot before making any further changes".
    There are to options: ignore or cancel

What should I do?
    Thanks

I am trying to install kali linux. I downloaded the iso file and used win32 disk imager to write it to a usb stick. I put it in the computer and followed the graphical install steps. However at the end it says to reboot to load the system. When I do it goes onto a screen which says /dev/sda1 clean 337450/9715712 files, 2930973/38843136 blocks. It then will not do anything more. I have tried this with two hard drives. What is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by brunolzo View Post
    Hello,
    I followed the installation process from the kali linux docs but I've run into a problem: when I try to do the partition of the hard drive an error appears saying: "Partition(s) 2 on dev/sda have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use. As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in use. You should reboot before making any further changes".
    There are to options: ignore or cancel

What should I do?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by louiepi View Post
    I am trying to install kali linux. I downloaded the iso file and used win32 disk imager to write it to a usb stick. I put it in the computer and followed the graphical install steps. However at the end it says to reboot to load the system. When I do it goes onto a screen which says /dev/sda1 clean 337450/9715712 files, 2930973/38843136 blocks. It then will not do anything more. I have tried this with two hard drives. What is wrong.
    Hello,

I have been installing Kali multiple times, on multiple laptops of mine, with different hard drives. I have used one and the same method each time and it always worked for me.
    - downloaded desired version of Kali
    - insert empty DVD in the laptop
    - open Roxio Creator 2012 Pro and burn disc image (for additional information if needed please ask)
    - after Roxio finishes and DVD is done I open Mini Tool Partition Wizard Server Edition
    - I create a partition with the desired space I need (in my case I always do 100GB because I like to play around and try stuff, plus it never hurts to have more)
    - after creating it, I leave it blank and empty. no additional partitioning
    - turn off laptop
    - turn laptop back on >> insert DVD >> choose to boot from CD/DVD >> follow instructions for installation
    - Kali finds the free space (the partition I have created earlier) and I choose that same partition
    - Kali asks if I want to partition the free space or to leave it up to Kali to do so >> always was choosing Kali to do it and it worked every time
    - then I just wait for installation and everything works

Encountered issues:

ISSUE: When rebooting and trying to start from the CD/DVD it doesn't work and just starts the operating system.
    SOLUTION: Make sure when you are burning the ISO to the CD/DVD that the speed is the slowest.

ISSUE: During Kali installation, having different types of partition issues.
    SOLUTION 1: Went back to Windows >> open Mini Tool Partition Wizard Server Edition >> wipe the created partition >> restart process >> success
    SOLUTION 2: Solution 1 doesn't work >> start windows >> open Mini Tool Partition >> delete partition >> restart laptop >> open Mini Tool Partition >> create partition with desired GB >> restart process from beginning >> success

ISSUE: After Kali install none OS is starting
    SOLUTION: Hiren's Boot CD or UBCD(Ultimate Boot CD)

Hope I managed to help.