Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install Kali Linux to Hard Disk

hi all,i tried to install kali on my pc and when i reached this http://docs.kali.org/wp-content/uplo...artition_0.png
    i want to choose manual option and when i enter there dont know what to do there can someone help me please guys
    (sorry for bad english)

OK, I checked all the threads here looking for my problem - nope not present, so here it is. Trying to install i386 version on an HP Pavillion dv5000 from a DVD, I got it from a friend that has been using Kali for a while now, 20 some odd years using Linux. The problem? during install (after getting needed b43 files) install gets to "scanning disks" on the starting up the partitioner screen --only one HD, toshiba 80 GiG already formated for linux install -- at 50% it freezes. I have tested the drive, swapped to a newer drive (WD 40 GiG) swapped back, installed mint as a test, it is only the Kali install that has the problem.... so .... what am I doing wrong?

Talking parse_partition_table=error.

when I installed my pc kalilinux 1.0.6 I. it's stuck on scanning hardisk or cannot show the partition table. when I check it, it error parse_partition_table=error,,, anybody help me???? I really appreciate that.

Tyagi

Firstly, wit h live 686 pae ,from application /install kali linux I ve got error msg of kernel mismatch and I 've got nothing to fix it.
    But continue the installation process I've an error msgof grub boot loader not installed and then LILO boot loade r not installed
    Now I have complete installation without boot loader what shoud I do.
    I loses my all data, window everything for kali but got nothing.

Hi all,
    I can't get my HP Pavillion laptop to even recognize that there's a USB or CD (I've tried both) with kali loaded at startup. I've searched the this forum and the web, but can't seem to find an answer. I have created bootable USBs with other linux distros (Opensuse, Ubuntu, Mint) and installed them on this HP laptop many times with no problem so I dont think this is a hardware issue. I've also used the same USB writer (the one that comes with mint) for other distros - so shouldn't be a problem there. I've downloaded this file: Kali Linux 1.0.6 64 Bit ISO from: http://www.kali.org/downloads/ many times and burned it to both USB(3 different brands) and CD numerous times. When I turn on my laptop with the USB or CD expecting to get a Kali boot screen or Kali as a grub menu option - no luck, just straight to my current OS - Mint. I have of course disabled secure boot-enabled legacy boot-and put usb at the top of the boot order.
    Any suggestions? I really want to try this out
    Thanks,
    Bob

the same here

Hi,
    I am new to Linux, can someone give me a hand?
    I have a Mac Pro with 3 internal hard disks, on two I have OSX 10.9.3 and on the other one I have installed Kali 10.0.7 after having downloaded it and burned it on a CD as an iso file. I have also installed rEFIt and everything seemed to be in order. Unfortunately when I reboot with rEFIt and I select the hard disk with the penguin icon a window opens saying "no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key", so I get stuck, it's as if the hard disk is empty and it's asking for the installation CD.
    When I restart and reboot on OSX the system tells me that one of my hard disks (where I have installed Linux) is not readable. In fact it has disappeared from the desk top and It's only visible using the utility disk. I have also tried changing the formatting of the hard disk, first with "Mac OS Extended"
    and then with "MS-DOS FAT" but nothing changes. Where am I going wrong? The installation DVD works fine, I tried in "live mode" and it worked, the installation went smoothly, maybe there is something wrong with the formatting of the hard disk?
    Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Tekitomo

Question

hi i am new to the forum

I don't want to make a LIVE usb of kali linux. I want to see that "Install Linux" which appears after burning the ISO on a DVD & booting through it.

I've tried two software - usb live creater and an another. Both give me the Live versions, not the DVD type installation.

I don't have am optical drive on my new laptop & it's the only machine I got so installing on network is too out of reach.

Can anyone guide me?

Quote Originally Posted by blackkalima View Post
    Hi all,
    I can't get my HP Pavillion laptop to even recognize that there's a USB or CD (I've tried both) with kali loaded at startup. I've searched the this forum and the web, but can't seem to find an answer. I have created bootable USBs with other linux distros (Opensuse, Ubuntu, Mint) and installed them on this HP laptop many times with no problem so I dont think this is a hardware issue. I've also used the same USB writer (the one that comes with mint) for other distros - so shouldn't be a problem there. I've downloaded this file: Kali Linux 1.0.6 64 Bit ISO from: http://www.kali.org/downloads/ many times and burned it to both USB(3 different brands) and CD numerous times. When I turn on my laptop with the USB or CD expecting to get a Kali boot screen or Kali as a grub menu option - no luck, just straight to my current OS - Mint. I have of course disabled secure boot-enabled legacy boot-and put usb at the top of the boot order.
    Any suggestions? I really want to try this out
    Thanks,
    Bob
    Yeah Same goes on for me. I also happen to own HP Pavillion and tried installing Kali 1.0.8 on my USB Disk. The output I get is same that of yours, i.e Pendrive does not get detected. The only difference in our scenario is that I have not enabled Legacy Boot since Windows 8 is installed on my notebook

Hi, I have installed the latest version of kali in live usb and it work pretty good. But when I want to install it in the hard drive from the boot menu it failed everytime. So I have tried to install it from the live-usb Application - Install Kali but I have got thies message :

Kernel version mismatch

Live system kernel and installer kernel don't match

The installer can only be used if the kernel version of the live system (3.14-kali1-686-pae) and of the installer (3.14-kali1-486) are the same.

Please reboot with the correct kernel (3.14-kali1-486).

If I continu the installation it failed. I think I have got a kernels trouble because my laptop is too old.I have never used Linux before, this is my first linux distribution so I am completely lost.
    How can I change the kernel of the live-system (3.14-kali1-686-pae) to the correct kernel (3.14-kali1-486) in live usb mode or from windows maybe (But I don't think it is possible) ?
    I also apologize for my english but I am french, nobody is perfect