Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to install Kali Linux to Hard Disk

Hello,
    I downloaded the 64 bit Kali 2.2016 version and burned the image to a dvd.

The start of the installation via the graphical installation runs without problems.

As a goal I would like to use my external hitachi 300gb hard drive. This is from a macbook in a kingston case via usb.

The installation runs without problems on a compaq presario cq57. As soon as the installation is finished and the cd is removed, but I will not get a boot menu.

Whether I install the entire hard disk without LVM or with LVM or encryption.

The bootloader I have to install on the external USB hard drive during the installation. Not directly to the internal Windows 7 version. Is there maybe the error? Does not the boot loader to the Windows version have to Kali?

I get a black screen with a blinking cursor and nothing happens.

The previous system, I have the same installed but this did not work properly after apt-get upgrade and synaptic.

There broke the boot process off and said I should try again later.

So I wanted to repeat the installation on the external hard drive.

I formatted the external HDD via windows with an exFAT partition.

Where is the error and how can I fix this?

I hope you can help me.

Thank you very much.

i have exactly the same error as Min0rMirrow (above post ).
    After successful installation i reboot and i end up with a black screen with a blinking cursor and nothing happens.
    i tried many versions of Kali but still can't boot after installation.
    Strangely, i can live boot the OS without problem.
    I saw a lot people here having the same issue - do we have any hope ? - meaning is it possible some PCs/laptops to be unable to work with Kali 2.0 ?

Most of the time, "black screen with a blinking cursor" means graphical card issue. You don't have this with Live USB / CD because it uses a generic driver and doesn't try to fit your hardware configuration.

Hi.

I am trying to install 2016.2 64 bit version on HP 6730b (intel core 2 duo CPU) 4 GB RAM, plenty of HDD space on C. The first screen appears well, then when I choose "Graphical install", the same screen but without Boot menu appears and it stays like this for ages.

Should I wait because my PC is old and weak or I have to choose another option to install it?

Its been a while since the last time i tried to install Kali 2.0 and still no hope..(still stack to black screen after successful installation on HDD ). I wanted to dual boot (with win10 - had disabled the fast boot- it doesn't have UEFI - bought this laptop during 2009 ).
    I also tried older versions of Kali,weekly Kali distros,MINT,openSUSE-Leap and Ubuntu ( here i gave up the dual boot idea... i just want Linux on my laptop).
    In every case(distro) after successful installation i get black screen ( with blinking cursor at top left..).
    The "funny" part , win10 and win7 (which i tried) have no problem during installation/boot (even with dual boot everything works fine).
    My fear is that i may need to upgrade my BIOS.
    " Important" Info From my BIOS:
    SATA MODE SELECTION are [AHCI] or [IDE] (Legacy USB support &Legacy Boot i have left both enabled).
    I haven't see anywhere/anyone pointing out the graphical drivers as the reason of the "black screen with a blinking cursor" error - so thanks for the idea(hope google helps- by the way my graphic card is nViDIA G 105M and the BIOS build date 03/05/09).
    Sorry for dragging a bit this post.. i just want to verify for sure whats the problem since even if i find it i will need some days of googling (yeap i suck) to make it work...
    Also if anyone has manage to install Kali 2.0 with [AHCI] or [IDE] ?

Ps. I also tried :to install manually grub with live boot in every "hope it works" location (/dev/sda, /dev/sda1 ,...,) .No hope obviously.

UPDATE:
    I will assume you want 1 OS on your PC. I am not pro on this field so i can only give u some silly ideas- hope something helps.
    1.You may have done something wrong when u were creating the USB. try your USB on another PC ( even if u press install it need some steps to install- don't fear it ).
    2.Check your BIOS . Having UEFI enable and Secure Boot Disable are some common "solutions" i saw, during my google search.

Wish i could write you another 2-3 "ideas" but i also suck/still trying to install Kali....
    Hope u have better luck/skills.
    Last edited by maiki; 2017-02-20 at 10:39. Reason: Merge posts

I succesfully boot into Kali 2016.2 on a macbook pro from a usb stick made with mac linux loader (see here)

It does not use grub but rather a boot loader named 'enterprise boot loader'. Going into advanced options allows selection of the kali installer. When this starts, it looks for a CD ROM. What is that??

No, really, I know what that is but why would a usb stick be looking for a cd rom? Is the installation process a function of this boot loader? Is there an executable somewhere on the Kali live distro that can do the installation to a partition on my hard disk?

I've literally spent over 50 hours trying to get Kali and Windows 10 Pro to dual boot on my 2016 X1 Carbon Gen 4. I'm pretty sure I'm having a Grub issue like a lot of people do. I have secure boot disabled, quick boot disabled, UEFI support only with CSM disabled and the computrace permanently disabled. I used Win32 Disk Imager to write. I've verified the SHA1 hash. It's strange that each time I try an install I have to repair the USB drive with diskpart. Not sure why that's always the case when writing an image with Win32 Disk Imager. I've experienced different errors with different installation attempts, all from the same *.iso and USB drive. I've tried using other USB drives. Up until recently I've been able to select the Grub install during setup, but lately that option has disappeared and the install automatically installs Grub to wherever without giving me a prompt to do it myself like it has in the past. No idea why that is happening. Even persists after reformatting the USB drive and rewriting Kali. I tried Rufus and the install won't even load upon reboot. I'm just burned out trying this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, does it matter that the Kali install recognizes my USB drive as /dev/sda as opposed to the hdd? I ran into an issue yesterday where out of the blue the EFI partition would no longer allow me to use it as an EFI partition. No idea why. Completely random. Haven't changed a thing. The option from the "use as" menu for the EFI partition doesn't even list the option to use as EFI anymore. It just randomly disappeared. But even before that, when it was fine, I couldn't boot to Grub. Booting straight into Windows, no option in Boot menu to select Kali to boot. Some guides/videos say you need to convert your drive to MBR, others don't even bother and they appear to reboot into Kali just fine.

hey guys i am trying to install kali linux and make my laptop dual booted with windows10, but i keep on getting this error while installation saying that missing firmware files : : rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw rt3290.bin. i have checked even the sha1 of the iso file i downloaded and it is correct. Please help me

Quote Originally Posted by nishigrandhi View Post
    hey guys i am trying to install kali linux and make my laptop dual booted with windows10, but i keep on getting this error while installation saying that missing firmware files : : rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw rt3290.bin. i have checked even the sha1 of the iso file i downloaded and it is correct. Please help me
    That's not an error. That is a missing driver of your ethernet. Installer is simply asking you to provide this driver from USB otherwise you will have to copy thisdriver in /lib/firmware after the installation.

In my case, the installation simply claims that "no kernel module was found"! The tutorial demonstrates an installation identical to my experiences with Debian, it indicates that there is something wrong with my procedure. Could someone help me???

Hello,
    I followed the installation process from the kali linux docs but I've run into a problem: when I try to do the partition of the hard drive an error appears saying: "Partition(s) 2 on dev/sda have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use. As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in use. You should reboot before making any further changes".
    There are to options: ignore or cancel

What should I do?
    Thanks

I am trying to install kali linux. I downloaded the iso file and used win32 disk imager to write it to a usb stick. I put it in the computer and followed the graphical install steps. However at the end it says to reboot to load the system. When I do it goes onto a screen which says /dev/sda1 clean 337450/9715712 files, 2930973/38843136 blocks. It then will not do anything more. I have tried this with two hard drives. What is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by brunolzo View Post
    Hello,
    I followed the installation process from the kali linux docs but I've run into a problem: when I try to do the partition of the hard drive an error appears saying: "Partition(s) 2 on dev/sda have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use. As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in use. You should reboot before making any further changes".
    There are to options: ignore or cancel

What should I do?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by louiepi View Post
    I am trying to install kali linux. I downloaded the iso file and used win32 disk imager to write it to a usb stick. I put it in the computer and followed the graphical install steps. However at the end it says to reboot to load the system. When I do it goes onto a screen which says /dev/sda1 clean 337450/9715712 files, 2930973/38843136 blocks. It then will not do anything more. I have tried this with two hard drives. What is wrong.
    Hello,

I have been installing Kali multiple times, on multiple laptops of mine, with different hard drives. I have used one and the same method each time and it always worked for me.
    - downloaded desired version of Kali
    - insert empty DVD in the laptop
    - open Roxio Creator 2012 Pro and burn disc image (for additional information if needed please ask)
    - after Roxio finishes and DVD is done I open Mini Tool Partition Wizard Server Edition
    - I create a partition with the desired space I need (in my case I always do 100GB because I like to play around and try stuff, plus it never hurts to have more)
    - after creating it, I leave it blank and empty. no additional partitioning
    - turn off laptop
    - turn laptop back on >> insert DVD >> choose to boot from CD/DVD >> follow instructions for installation
    - Kali finds the free space (the partition I have created earlier) and I choose that same partition
    - Kali asks if I want to partition the free space or to leave it up to Kali to do so >> always was choosing Kali to do it and it worked every time
    - then I just wait for installation and everything works

Encountered issues:

ISSUE: When rebooting and trying to start from the CD/DVD it doesn't work and just starts the operating system.
    SOLUTION: Make sure when you are burning the ISO to the CD/DVD that the speed is the slowest.

ISSUE: During Kali installation, having different types of partition issues.
    SOLUTION 1: Went back to Windows >> open Mini Tool Partition Wizard Server Edition >> wipe the created partition >> restart process >> success
    SOLUTION 2: Solution 1 doesn't work >> start windows >> open Mini Tool Partition >> delete partition >> restart laptop >> open Mini Tool Partition >> create partition with desired GB >> restart process from beginning >> success

ISSUE: After Kali install none OS is starting
    SOLUTION: Hiren's Boot CD or UBCD(Ultimate Boot CD)

Hope I managed to help.

Myself I got to the install part - copying of the files - and it fails around 60% of the way through the file copy process. I used Roxy Easy Media Creator 9 at the lowest speed (8x) and Kali 2018.1 64 bit ISO. I have a brand new HP TPN-Q130 laptop that I purchased for the EXPRESS purpose of installing Kali on it. I booted to Live Kali, used gparted to delete the 4 Windows partitions, then rebooted and started the install. As I have been trying, unsuccessfully so (grub loader install doesn't work and I get mount point errors when attempting to install grub manually) to dual boot with Windows 8.1 on an ASUS laptop, for over a week now, I am very frustrated and equally appreciative of any assistance that is forthcoming.

Brought the HP laptop to work this morning. Used an external DVD and the same disk as last night. Install ran fine. Only hiccup was post-install when it couldn't see the WIFI network it connected to during the install. I just powered it down waited a few minutes and powered it back on, it now sees that WIFI network so all is good at present!

Quote Originally Posted by XxsithlordxX View Post
    Code:
    im prompted with" authentication failure" any tips from the pros?
    I am having the same problem. I managed to get Kali installed, but now I am unable to login, it keeps saying "authentication failure" and yes, I have checked my password and username is also correct.
    login as root, delete the user you created, then create it again. That's what I did and it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by kalinfirst View Post
    Hi.

I am trying to install 2016.2 64 bit version on HP 6730b (intel core 2 duo CPU) 4 GB RAM, plenty of HDD space on C. The first screen appears well, then when I choose "Graphical install", the same screen but without Boot menu appears and it stays like this for ages.

Should I wait because my PC is old and weak or I have to choose another option to install it?
    To be honest, it is best to do the normal install without GUI. Try that. If it doesn't work, then wait. But if GUI doesn't work, always revert to CLI.

Try using UBCD or similar. This should fix your error. If it doesn't, tell me.

Root User

Are you using the root user? try to log in as "root" as user name and "toor" as password.

Bootable usb work with options nomodeset. After install on hard drive only work with this options but freeze when wogin. Laptop is asus x540s sonicmaster and with Ubuntu not problem. Some advice guys? work fine

I am facing with error when installing Kali in hard drive with error msg - UNABLE TO RUN C:\WINDOWS\SYSNATIVE\BCDEDIT.EXE
    How to resolve the issue.

I try to install kali linux so that in the middle of the installation of this error "one step of installation failed" I downloaded several iso both 86 and 64 will not my settings are these

Rufus todas as vers?es

Universal Instaler USB
    Yumi
    Disk Maneger
    Live USB install
    Linux Live USB Creator
    ja usei at? o Ultra Iso

ISOS ja tentei
    Kali Linux 2017.3
    kali-linux-2018-4-amd64-iso
    kali-linux-2018-4-i386-iso
    kali Linux Xfce

Intel pentium T4500
    dual-core cpu T4500 @2.30GHz

Manufacturer
    Semptoshiba IS 1414

BIos
    Phoenix Technologies LTD
    Version MTVNCRB01.86C.X.0000000000

Memomoria
    DDR3 2GB
    DRAM Frequency 332.5 MHz

I was also facing the same problem but I used win32 disk imager to create the bootable drive and it worked, you can try that

Use rufus. Set Partition scheme to GPT and select DD mode to burn ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by asidscript View Post
    I have created a bootable usb twice now from two different iso's and both have failed, No CD rom detected. could not get passed that, so I decided to whip open my actual kali computer and do a dist upgrade, getting 403's and 404s
    though maybe its my firewall, and have tried off a different network, same issue. the new repos i added to the sources are not getting though.
    any ideas?
    Hi , are you just trying to do a live kali or trying to install it on another hard drive? I had that issue, but I am trying to install it on an external drive so I had to have the drive hooked up and then the usb with the iso on it. When it looked for the cdrom it found the usb with the iso.

Hope that helps some.

I used rufus and successfully downloaded kali 19.4, I'm new to linux and have ubuntu running on my hard drive and want to completely install Kali and remove Ubuntu. When I go to install kali I get this issue that firmware files are missing and do I want to add them later. I can use the live version but can't install it to the hard drive. Help anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by muts View Post
    Installing Kali Linux on your computer is an easy process. First you’ll need compatible computer hardware. Kali is supported on i386, amd64, and ARM (both armel and armhf) platforms. The hardware requirements are minimal as listed below, though better hardware will naturally provide better performance. The i386 images have a default PAE kernel, so you can run them on systems with over 4GB of RAM. Download Kali Linux and either burn the ISO to DVD, or prepare a USB stick with Kali Linux Live as the installation medium. If you do not have a DVD drive or USB port on your computer, check out the Kali Linux Network Install.

To read the full document, check our Installing Kali Linux to Hard Drive article.

If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.
    yes, I have a bootable usb and it works fine to run a live version. But when trying to install, I run into a screen saying firmware files missing will i load them now or not. I choose no and then it goes all the way to the configure the network screen but nothing happens past this point it just stays on this screen. I'm trying to put kali on an Acer Aspire E15 laptop with 6GB. I'm not sure what to do to continue.

Downloaded 2019.3 to usb and tried it live for about 6 weeks. Loved it. My laptop had no hdd so I bought an ssd. I tried every install to get the same DE as 2019.3. I assume it's gnome. The gnome gets me the gray screen with mouse. All other installs work fine. I tried to upgrade to gnome in each of them and it re-boots to gray screen mouse. Any ideas?

Gateway NV52L06u
    4GB DDR3
    AMD64

I'm currently having an issue where the disk partioning in Kali Linux 2019 version. I don't see my harddisk partions but only "finish and write to partition", ISCI .....
    My machine is Xsixty-four based processor. I tried the 32-bit i386 kali image, but it worked fine during booting but during hard disk partitioning i don't see my partitions.

hello everyone,

i was getting inissue when i install linux to hard disk there was a message (GTK Warning unable to open display :0 also higher " Check Xorg.log)
    anyone help will be appreciated
    kamukta
    Last edited by boyjaat209; 2020-02-06 at 14:41.

hello guys,

• Select your preferred language and then your country location. ...
    • Specify your geographic location.
    • The installer will copy the image to your hard disk, probe your network interfaces, and then prompt you to enter a hostname for your system.
    • regard

I had a problem installing it. Thank you very much.

Question installing kali from usb

I get this error when i try to format the disk:
    WhatsApp Image 2021-03-29 at 1.27.36 PM.jpg
    I get this error when i try to install the base system:
    WhatsApp Image 2021-03-29 at 1.27.34 PM.jpg WhatsApp Image 2021-03-29 at 1.27.35 PM (1).jpgWhatsApp Image 2021-03-29 at 1.27.35 PM.jpg
    Although i can run kali live and other linux distros I can't run kali installer.
    I tried to plugin the usb but that didn't work any ideas?

Lightbulb My Installing Kali Journey

I have had a long journey with Kali...so many installs.

• Kali on a virtual machine
    • Kali-In-The-Browser (with websites)
    • Kali Live USB Boot with Persistence
    • Kali Linux

As most beginners do, I started out with Kali on VMWare (still have it). It is ok, honestly any other distro would be fine, but Kali needs access to the core components of your PC for some of the programs to function properly. So I decided to try a Live-Boot with a 128Gb Flash Drive and Persistence for saving. That was much better than the VM, it allowed Kali access to the components it needed, while not changing my current Disk. Then I said screw it and just installed it on my laptop and boy do I wish I did that from the beginning!!!
    I am not sure if it has anything to do with the newer Kali builds, but as far as 'instructions for installing to hard drive', you really shouldn't need any...but just in case, this is what I did.

1. Create a Bootable USB with the Kali Installer Image (MBR not GPT)
    2. Disable Secure Boot in BIOS (switch to USB boot first if you want)
    3. Plug in USB, restart PC, if you did not change the boot you power on your machine tap F(9, in my case most HPs are) look up the Function key that lets you choose the boot order
    4. Boot from USB
    5. Installer Screen comes up, follow instructions there.
    6. OPTIONAL: Before creating a boot image with the installer you can make a live one to get to 'gparted' for any partitioning or formatting you want to do before install.have

If you have a spare laptop lying around I highly suggest installing Kali this way (as opposed to VM). The speeds are incredible, the functionality is great and extremely customizable.

Code:
    sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y
    That line is burned into my memory...

To get started download a Kali Linux ISO and burn the ISO to DVD or Image Kali Linux Live to USB . Insert your external drive that you are going to install Kali on to (such as my 1TB USB3 drive) into a machine, along with the installation media you just created

To get started download a Kali Linux ISO and burn the ISO to DVD or Image Kali Linux Live to USB . Insert your external drive that you are going to install Kali on to (such as my 1TB USB3 drive) into a machine, along with the installation media you just created.

Hi, I followed instructions on the referred guide.
    Premises: I was able to install core system, but not to install desktop environment (I skipped that step). So I should be sti
    Also, I mistakenly said opted out of installing boot loader on removable media even though it was suggested during that step. Suggestion was due to some possibile issue with the disk. I can't remember what the issue was, but had to do with EFI and said that disk may be buggy and fail something. So it suggested writing to removable media too.

Now, when I turn on the computer I can select "Debian GNU/Linux" or "Advanced options GNU/Linux". Selecting the first, I get two lines saying
    dev/sda1 recovering journal
    dev/sda1 clear [...]

After that, I get black screen and nothing else happens.

I have just solved the problem I wrote a post about. There was actually no problem, just my monitor doesn't show the entire screen and therefore I can't see command line.

Informative post.

I have old installation in an external drive. My new laptop has SSD+HDD combo where windows 10 is on ssd. I am planning to move an old installtion of kali from external drive to internal hdd and install the grub on /dev/sdb where sdb is internal HDD. Will this work? and what would be the booting sequence as windows on ssd and linux on hdd?

Help plz!!!

Quote Originally Posted by muts View Post
    Installing Kali Linux on your computer is an easy process. First you’ll need compatible computer hardware. Kali is supported on i386, amd64, and ARM (both armel and armhf) platforms. The hardware requirements are minimal as listed below, though better hardware will naturally provide better performance. The i386 images have a default PAE kernel, so you can run them on systems with over 4GB of RAM. Download Kali Linux and either burn the ISO to DVD, or prepare a USB stick with Kali Linux Live as the installation medium. If you do not have a DVD drive or USB port on your computer, check out the Kali Linux Network Install.

To read the full document, check our Installing Kali Linux to Hard Drive article.

If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.
    i keep getting error message saying my installation medium isn't Debian Ive re done it many times i really hate having to download things over and over again and would love to keep this permanent on my HDD

Lightbulb GUI vs GRUB installation - dual boot - Win10 - HP all-in-one

I have SSD 256GB drive with 4 GPT partitions of 64 GB each. C drive has Win10. Want to install Kali Linux on Drive. Downloaded Kali Linux 2022.1 (bare metal) version, created bootable 16GB pen drive using Rufus (again with GPT, NTFS). But when I boot from the USB drive, I get "GRUB" prompt instead of any GUI. I am new to any Linux / Unix and want the installation using GUI. Even I do not know what to do at GRUB. Please help me with the process to get GUI instead of GRUB prompt.

Authentication

Quote Originally Posted by milehighinterceptor View Post
    after installing amd 64 in my hp pavilion using a live dvd, total failure trying to log in . kali wont grant me access.. im prompted with" authentication failure" any tips from the pros? everything goes smooth up until I have to log in **fix** reinstall and use kali as host ,root as user, toor as password. after install you can change the host name .. there's a tutorial on youtube with terminal commands as well ..
    I'm having the same issue except I used a bootable USB and now the USB is now unusable

Hi guys, i install kali linux bare metal. but no desktop after installing kali linux bare metal. İ have just cod client. İ cant find the network adapter during installation, so i dont have connection. (sry for my bad english)

QUOTE=Kalibrahma;123327]I have SSD 256GB drive with 4 GPT partitions of 64 GB each. C drive has Win10. Want to install Kali Linux on Drive. Downloaded Kali Linux 2022.1 (bare metal) version, created bootable 16GB pen drive using Rufus (again with GPT, NTFS). But when I boot from the USB drive, I get "GRUB" prompt instead of any GUI. I am new to any Linux / Unix and want the installation using GUI. Even I do not know what to do at GRUB. Please help me with the process to get GUI instead of GRUB prompt.[/QUOTE]

GPT is unnecessary for a USB stick use MBR

and DON'T use NTFS use FAT32

and then use Balena Etcher to burn the image to the USB stick

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

You only need to download an ISO image once and it can then stay on your hard drive..

see post #145 above for what to do with the ISO image

Hello,

I am trying to install Kali in my laptop (only kali not dual boot), after software installation when it comes to install grub bootloader, my screen started to flicker with black screen and cursor hovering on the middle of the screen.
    I made my pendrive bootable again using balenaEtcher, but still I am facing the same error.
    Please help me here pls.

In BIOS you need to disable secure boot and allow 'legacy boot' sometimes called CSM on some systems.

If you previously had another OS on there, like Windows, then you will usually need to fully delete and reformat the hard drive to get rid of any residual files and partitions. You can do this from the Kali set up before installing.
    If you choose the guided set up it will help you write the partitions needed.

1. Downloading Kali Linux

2. Extracting Kali Linux
    Extract the downloaded file using WinRAR or any other archiving tool.
    3. Installing Kali Linux
    Open the extracted folder and run the setup program.
    4. Configuring Kali Linux
    After installation, open the terminal and type ?startx? to start the graphical interface.
    5. Logging In to Kali Linux
    Type ?su? followed by your username and password to login as root user.
    6. Changing Password
    Change the default password of root user using passwd command.
    7. Adding Repositories
    Add the following repositories to the /etc/apt/sources.list file.

[QUOTE=Mrquiety;28650]Hello Everyone Here What i have made for all of you How to install Kali Linux[/
    Thanks to you, i also want to install.