Thread: Loading in multi-boot usb, login problem

Loading in multi-boot usb, login problem

Hi, I was able to boot Backtrack on a multi-boot usb-stick by decompressing the iso to a folder (%USB-STICK%/ISO/BT5) and by using grub4dos with this menu :
    ###MENU START
    title BackTrack\nPentesting Linux Distribution
    kernel /ISO/BT5/casper/vmlinuz --ignore-floppies file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed live-media-path=ISO/BT5/casper boot=casper locale=en_GB.UTF-8 keyb=us splash noprompt vga=791-- persistent
    initrd /ISO/BT5/casper/initrd.gz
    ###MENU END

I tried the same with kali by changing the kernel , initrd, and live-media-path to fit and i can boot fine up to the login screen.

there it asks for the username/password, i input "root" then "toor" and it says "Authentication failed"

Do anyone have an idea what's wrong?

Is toor the password you setup for your account? I had the same problem but I signed in by using root and the password I setup for the name/password for my account.

I might have solved this for you, I had a very similar problem. When prompted to enter your username, enter root. Then when prompted for a password, try the password you were asked for during installation. After doing this I suggest creating another user account with your own username and password.

Hi Deux-Ex
    debian based distros use live-boot system, specifically made for debian.
    forget about ubuntu's casper system.
    Once you have understood the basics of debian-live system, then you will be able to make a live USB easily again, like you did in BT.
    You are wellcome to join debian-live mailing lists to get standard debian-live support, which will be also very useful to kali users, indeed.
    cheers,
    Alex
    rm -rf /home/alist3r/PMs/asking-for-{support,software,coding,working-for-free}

thank you all for the comments
    first off, mhansen and sampramer, i did not install kali, i'm trying to boot it live like from the cd but on a multi-boot usb controled with a grub4dos menu (presently i have liveOS's = Ubuntu 32/64, backtrack, bugtraq, backbox, gparted, paragon, acronis, dban, win7(not live but for install), win server 2008r2(for install))
    Your suggestion is great but sadly not applicable to my problem since i use the original live system and not an install...... thank you for trying though

alist3r, i'm not using the casper system. I should have included the menu i edited for booting kali directly from usb to prevent misunderstanding so here it is:

###MENU START
    title Kali-Linux\nPentesting Linux Distribution
    kernel /ISO/Kali-Linux/live/vmlinuz --ignore-floppies live-media-path=ISO/Kali-Linux/live boot=live locale=en_GB.UTF-8 keyb=us splash noprompt vga=791--
    initrd /ISO/Kali-Linux/live/initrd.img
    ###MENU END

Essentially, all i did was put all the files contained in the ISO of Kali into the folder ISO/Kali-Linux on my usb-key with grub4dos and it boot normaly, i get to the login screen without problem but it doesnt accept the default login credentials.......

live-boot is the agent responsible for setting the user credentials in boot time. That is, base system does not contain the user until it boots, so a wrong boot or a wrong live-boot script executio could lead to similar issues.
    I should make more tests. I can not notice problems in boot params, but maybe one parameter is missing so live-boot fails doing its job.
    Meanwhile, you can compare kernel bootparams used in kali's original ISO, maybe you will find the problem for yourlself before I could get in front of a PC with a copy of Kali (Im not able to test at tis time)

Cheers,
    Alex
    rm -rf /home/alist3r/PMs/asking-for-{support,software,coding,working-for-free}

You.....are....a genious!!!!!!!!
    never thought of it.
    whent to look in the iso and found the missing parameters :noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali
    added them in my menu and VOILA
    everything working.

so for those who want to know the complete menu for the boot there it is
    *******extract ISO to a folder on usbkey that have grub4dos installed ( ie:/ISO/Kali-Linux)******
    ###MENU START
    title Kali-Linux\nPentesting Linux Distribution
    kernel /ISO/Kali-Linux/live/vmlinuz --ignore-floppies live-media-path=ISO/Kali-Linux/live boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali locale=en_GB.UTF-8 keyb=us splash noprompt vga=791--
    initrd /ISO/Kali-Linux/live/initrd.img
    ###MENU END

i had same problem, during installation i wrote toor as password, and was unable to login at first.

then i rebooted and from grub opened recovery. when you open it you get prompt, logged as root.

than just type:

passwd

after that chose and type your password, retype and write:

exit

you will continue to normal system boot and login.

login as root and just choosen password.

hope this helps.

Hi @ Deus-Ex

I've registered to the site looking for help about the Kali Live Usb question. I've modified my menu.lst (with the right paths) & everything goes fine, everything seems to load, but at the end i get a black screen with the mouse's cursor operative, & nothing else happens.

If i've well understood you, that i have to put into the pendrive is the content of the kali.iso, & not the .iso itself, i'm right?

Some that i have to say is that i'm tryin' it with the last Kali version (kali-linux-2016.1-i386.iso), and the pendrive is a 32gb one, ntfs formated, with a lot of stuff that runs as a charm.

May be ntfs responsible of the fail? I've Trinity runing fine in the same pendrive, but for make it run in ntfs i had to make a Fat16 image of it first.

Thx a lot in advance.
    Last edited by NightbirD; 2016-03-23 at 01:31.

Well, i've fixed it.

I've been failing 'cause i was working witha 64Bits version of Kali!

So now i'm booting succesfully from the stick to install ntldr systems, bootmgr systems, linux, debian, ubuntu, run live d.o.s., live linux, live "wins", etc...

Trillon thx to @exDeus & @alist3r!!!!

Btw; i'll share all that i've made, if it means something useful for someone.

Edit; i'm so sorry, i was wrong, i did'nt fixed nothing, my mistake. Is true that the 32bits version of Kali, "kali-linux-light-2016.1-i386.iso", works flawlessly once extracted the files onto a folder in the pendrive & the paths of the menu.lst are right. Is a nice tool, but i still can't get to boot the complete version, "kali-linux-2016.1-i386.iso". To add a detail, before the screen goes black, with the mouse's cursor & the keyboard active, the last verbose mention displayed in the screen is "Start user manager for UID0".

I would like to know what i'm doin' wrong, or if the issue is caused by the big size of the kali folder. Is strange, i can't figure out why the light version runs & the complete wont.

Thx a lot in advance, & excuse me for my rush & wrong conclussions.
    Last edited by NightbirD; 2016-03-23 at 21:15.