Thread: Installing kali linux on a SSD

Question Installing kali linux on a SSD

Hi guy i am having a 120 gb SSD and want to install kali linux on for learning i have a computer and if i install kali linux onto my ssd of a usb on my computer and later if i plug the ssd in another computer can i use like normal or will i have problems

Yes you can use it normally but you also have to manually install grub on your SSD. By default, installer will install grub on the EFI partition of your hard disk. Once you boot kali, you have to create a small 500MB partition in your SSD with FAT 32 filesystem.

Then run a command sudo grub-install /dev/name of your SSD && sudo update-grub. Use fdisk -l to see the name of your SSD.
    Last edited by _defalt; 2018-05-06 at 08:27.

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Yes you can use it normally but you also have to manually install grub on your SSD. By default, installer will install grub on the EFI partition of your hard disk. Once you boot kali, you have to create a small 500MB partition in your SSD with FAT 32 filesystem.

Then run a command sudo grub-install /dev/name of your SSD. Use fdisk -l to see the name of your SSD.
    so i have installed kali linux on a ssd but after complete install and then run command can i use the ssd on different computers with different architectures and different configuration as i have not still ordered a ssd hope it comes to a use after buying

Quote Originally Posted by akash614 View Post
    can i use the ssd on different computers with different architectures and different configuration
    I don't think so. But you can try a persistent live installation for that.

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...-0-flash-drive
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...(Windows-Only)

Quote Originally Posted by mstrmnn View Post
    I don't think so. But you can try a persistent live installation for that.

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...-0-flash-drive
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...(Windows-Only)

as i am already running kali linux live usb persistence on a usb drive of 16gb then i think the ssd installnation wont work

as i am already running kali linux live usb persistence on a usb drive of 16gb then i think the ssd installnation wont work
    Thanx _default i was trying this to no eval. On a 1tb hdd in an external hard drive enclosure do you recommend same?i used windisc32 to install kali 2018.1 tried to boot into it nothing. Gparted reads the image got burned proper. Will give this a go.

so i have installed kali linux on a ssd but after complete install and then run command can i use the ssd on different computers with different architectures and different configuration as i have not still ordered a ssd hope it comes to a use after buying
    Different architecture?
    No. The kali image you have installed supports x86 architecture. For ARM it is different.

I asked you to install grub in your SSD. Have you done that? You can't boot kali from your SSD unless you install grub in your SSD.

See, the step where people get it wrong. When you install kali in USB device, the installer does not install grub on USB. It installs grub on your EFI partition of your system hard drive. So you can boot kali from SSD only on that PC but when you plug it on another PC you can't boot it because there is no grub.

For that manully install grub in your SSD to make it portable. See below:

Once you boot kali, you have to create a small 500MB partition in your SSD with FAT 32 filesystem.

Then run a command sudo grub-install /dev/name of your SSD && sudo update-grub. Use fdisk -l to see the name of your SSD.

Different architecture?
    No. The kali image you have installed supports x86 architecture. For ARM it is different.

I asked you to install grub in your SSD. Have you done that? You can't boot kali from your SSD unless you install grub in your SSD.

See, the step where people get it wrong. When you install kali in USB device, the installer does not install grub on USB. It installs grub on your EFI partition of your system hard drive. So you can boot kali from SSD only on that PC but when you plug it on another PC you can't boot it because there is no grub.

For that manully install grub in your SSD to make it portable. See below:

thanks i will try it as soon as ssd arrives and post it here if it works and try to make a youtube video thanks for all those who replied but yet i have to try it