Thread: Kali install keeps failing

Unhappy Kali install keeps failing

I'm trying to install Kali on my Dell laptop. It currently has Linux Mint on it
    Laptop is amd64 so I downloaded the Kali Linux 64 Bit iso. I learned this by doing "uname -m" and it showed me x86_x64
    I used rufus to create a bootable USB of Kali
    The USB is 64GB and formatting to FAT32 with cluster size 32KB
    I stick the USB into my laptop, boot to the USB and I'm able to get into Kali Live just fine
    I select the graphical installer option and go through the langauge and region and keyboard options
    When it gets to the "Detect and mount CD-ROM" it gives me an error "Your installation CD-ROM couldn't be mounted. This probably means that the CD-ROM was not in the drive. If so you can insert it and try again. Retry mounting the CD-ROM?"
    So I select "No" and I execute a Shell
    mount -t vfat /dev /sdb1 /cdrom
    Seems successful so I exit the shell and go back to the option "Choose language"
    Then I get the same error "Your installation CD-ROM couldn't be mounted. This probably means that the CD-ROM was not in the drive. If so you can insert it and try again. Retry mounting the CD-ROM?"
    So I remove my USB from the laptop and wait. Then I reinsert it and wait. Then I choose "Yes"
    It gives me a different error this time "There was a problem reading data from the CD-ROM. Please make sure it is in the drive. If retrying does not work, you should check the integrity of your CD-ROM. Failed to copy file from CD-ROM. Retry?"
    I retried a couple times with no success. So I downloaded Kali Linux 64 Bit iso again and used a different USB of 16GB to make a bootable USB and tried the whole thing again. No good. So I tried another 16GB USB and still no good.

I'm pretty stuck... is there a way to install Kali in the terminal after booting to Kali Live?

I went and bought a pack of blank DVDs and burned the ISO to a DVD and installed Kali that way.
    During the install it said I needed some non-free file for some hardware on my machine called regulatory.db
    I just skipped that since I don't have that file or know where to get the right one from.
    Everything seems good to go so far.

So I have the same issue where it asks me for a non-free file called regulatory.db. I also skipped that process but after install kali GNU/LINUX will not boot. I get a error message saying something about that same regulatory.d. Were you able to load into kali successfully?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    So I have the same issue where it asks me for a non-free file called regulatory.db. I also skipped that process but after install kali GNU/LINUX will not boot. I get a error message saying something about that same regulatory.d. Were you able to load into kali successfully?
    That's not an error. That's a message says that regulatory.db is missing. It has been fixed in the recent kali update. What other errors it shows?

When you use rufus select DD mode instead of ISO. It won't show that cdrom error again.

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    That's not an error. That's a message says that regulatory.db is missing. It has been fixed in the recent kali update. What other errors it shows?
    When you use rufus select DD mode instead of ISO. It won't show that cdrom error again.
    Thank you for the help. I am trying to install kali 2018.2 on my hard drive. I burned the image on to a dvd. But are you saying to install it through usb? Or are you saying to just install it on a usb and boot off of that?

Thank you for the help. I am trying to install kali 2018.2 on my hard drive. I burned the image on to a dvd. But are you saying to install it through usb? Or are you saying to just install it on a usb and boot off of that?
    When you install it through bootable USB, use rufus to create bootable USB in DD mode and not in ISO mode.

When you install it through bootable USB, use rufus to create bootable USB in DD mode and not in ISO mode.

IMG_2835.JPG

I tried the way you explained but no luck. This is what i keep getting before i can ever boot into kali
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 2018-05-09 at 00:17.

IMG_2835.JPG

I tried the way you explained but no luck. This is what i keep getting before i can ever boot into kali
    That's not the problem with installation, this is the problem with the start up. All the time you were reporting that you cannot install kali. You are not installing it. You are booting it.

I've posted a solution in this thread: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...15-5000-Gaming

That's not the problem with installation, this is the problem with the start up. All the time you were reporting that you cannot install kali. You are not installing it. You are booting it.

I've posted a solution in this thread: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...15-5000-Gaming
    THANK YOU soooooo very much _defalt. Very much appreciate the help. I was finally able to boot into kali.