Thread: Need Help with the Installation of Kali Linux on my Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Gaming

[Solved] Need Help with the Installation of Kali Linux on my Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Gaming

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Gaming with:

Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor
    16gb of Ram
    1TB HDD + 128GB SSD
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4gb

when trying to install Kali Linux it said I was missing some files for the wifi. The iwlwifi files. Also another file I don't remember the name of it. I am pretty sure it started with rl. Anyways after not downloading does files everything went smoothly in the installation process. It's when I try to boot up that the problem starts. When I try to boot up I get:

tpm_crb MSFT0101:00: [Firmware Bug]: ACPI region does not cover the entire command/response buffer. [mem 0xfed40000-0xfed4087f flags 0x200] vs fed40080 f80

I got that 2 times, and also these other messages:

iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: capa flags index 3 larger than supported by driver
    nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: Pointer to TMDS table invalid
    nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: Pointer to flat panel table invalid

and another time a got the above plus these:

pcieport 0000:00:1c.5: PCIe Bus Error: severity=corrected, type=Physical Layer, id=00e5(Receiver ID)
    pcieport 0000:00:1c.5: device [8086:a1150 error status/mask=00000001/00002000
    pcieport 0000:00:1c.5: [ 0] Receiver Error (First)

I tried finding out how to fix the first problem but I haven't had luck. I tried to also get some help in quora but I also haven't gotten much help. I am hoping to get the problem resolved or at least start to head the right direction to fix the problem from this website. I was also thinking of cheating and paying someone but then I keep thinking that it doesn't benefit me since I won't learn how to fix the problem if I am faced with it again. Any help is appreciated. If any more information just tell me, and how I can get that information. Anyways thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Odi_Something; 2018-05-03 at 21:52.

Hmm, does Kali boot at all, or just freeze after those messages? Did you verify the hash of the download, to ensure you got a valid ISO?

Will your machine run Kali in live mode?

My laptop freezes after the messages appear or like it is done telling me the errors. How do I verify the hash download to ensure I got a valid ISO?

Also no my laptop doesn’t run Kali in live mode. When telling some processes are okay, then like a few seconds later I get some errors. Then it starts a job that starts timing how long it has gone for also saying that the process doesn’t have a limit on how long it will take.

Press e to open grub parameters. There replace the word quiet with nomodeset quiet splash. Then press F10 to boot.

To make this change permanent once you boot kali, do the same in /etc/default/grub.conf and run sudo update-grub.

Do I press e to open the grub parameters when I get stuck?

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Press e to open grub parameters. There replace the word quiet with nomodeset quiet splash. Then press F10 to boot.

To make this change permanent once you boot kali, do the same in /etc/default/grub.conf and run sudo update-grub.
    So I did successfully do the edit and get on kali. But I don't know what you mean do the name in /etc/default/grub.com and run sudo update-grub I didn't know where it was and how would I run sudo for it to work on it.

When I try to find the /etc/default/grub.conf I couldn't find it I also tried using cat command but it said it didn't find it

Quote Originally Posted by Odi_Something View Post
    Do I press e to open the grub parameters when I get stuck?
    No. Once you see grub menu, then press e to open grub parameters. It contains lines of boot parameters.

But I don't know what you mean do the name in /etc/default/grub.com and run sudo update-grub I didn't know where it was and how would I run sudo for it to work on it.
    I'm sure you were able to boot kali by adding this parameter nomodeset quiet splash but this change is temporary and reverted after next boot. To make this change permanent, once you boot kali, open the file /etc/default/grub and write that parameter next to the parameter quiet same as you did while booting.

Then open terminal and run sudo update-grub. The change will become permanent and then you don't have to write that parameter again each time you boot.

Run gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub to open this file.

My laptop freezes after the messages appear or like it is done telling me the errors. How do I verify the hash download to ensure I got a valid ISO?

Also no my laptop doesn't run Kali in live mode. When telling some processes are okay, then like a few seconds later I get some errors. Then it starts a job that starts timing how long it has gone for also saying that the process doesn't have a limit on how long it will take.
    Go to Kali download page and copy the SHA256 hash value provided for download of your particular installation. Download an MD5/SHA hash calculator then select your Kali image and run the hash calculator then paste the hash value from Kali download page into the hash calculator to verify it matches.

Another method is to get another laptop and place your hard drive you are trying to install Kali on into it and run the live boot media. I had a installation error with my laptop and did this to install newer Kali distribution (old distribution installs without this step).

Use Rufus 3.4.1 available from here (https://rufus.ie/) and select to burn your image to thumbdrive as usual except when you click start, select DD image in the popup window that appears.