Thread: Nvidia driver problems

Nvidia driver problems

Hello,

I am trying to use my gpu to perform calculations for hash cracking. So I installed the nvidea driver and the ocl-icd-libopencl1 and nvidia-cuda-toolkit. Installing went fine but in the end I got a warning saying that the nouveau driver conflicts with the nvidia and a reboot would probably fix it. When I rebooted the screen was black with a cursor in the shape of an X. I could still access the terminal by right clicking and in there I could even launch gui apps. In the terminal I blacklisted the nouveau drivers but it fixed nothing. When I use lspci -v it says: Kernel driver in use: nouveau, Kernel modules: Nvidia. I'm just starting with kali so perhaps it's something stupid but I am really clueless. Any suggestions?

Some extra info:
    It's an msi laptop with a gtx 860m and integrated intel graphics. I'm booting from an usb with enabled persistence. After the installation of the drivers I also get the message: update-initramfs is disabled (live system is running without media mounted on /lib/live/mount/medium).

Quote Originally Posted by Nemon View Post
    Some extra info:
    It's an msi laptop with a gtx 860m and integrated intel graphics. I'm booting from an usb with enabled persistence. After the installation of the drivers I also get the message: update-initramfs is disabled (live system is running without media mounted on /lib/live/mount/medium).
    How did you install the nvidia drivers in a persistence usb? I've tried and while I can download / install the nvidia-drivers it won't reboot right and disable nouveau because update-initramfs and /lib/live/mount/medium is mounted as read only.

This seems to be a pretty big problem on the forums.

Well that's also my problem. It seems like it is impossible because of update-initramfs. I was able to install on kali with dualboot, but I got a black screen again, although I could run hashcat. Now I have just given up and installed hashcat on windows. It's a little inconvenient because I have to switch OS every time I want to crack, but at least it works so that's fine for now.