Thread: strange issue with headers and upgrading.

strange issue with headers and upgrading.

ive got a very strange issue with my persistent usb, if i apt-get upgrade (or any variation of) it breaks mouse and keyboard and i have to reinstall.
    i discovered that the package linux-image-4.14.0-kali3-amd64 is the root cause
    if I mark the package with apt-mark (apt-mark hold linux-image-4.14.0-kali3-amd64) the package is held back and everything works as it should.
    untill it comes to installing the drivers for my bcm43 NIC, after installing the drivers which i know usually work, and run modprobe wl
    i get an error of: modprobe: FATAL: Module wl not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.0-kali3-amd64
    it appears that the module i need for my wifi is the same one that breaks my keyboard and mouse which is annoying.
    but whats more annoying is that after updating my headers, there has appeared a module: 4.15.0-kali2-amd64 and the wl drivers appear to have been installed into this. but when trying to run modprobe wl command it searches in 4.14.0 and fails. ive tried all sorts to get this to work and no dice with anything.

i want to do full-upgrade, but cant out of fear that it will once again break my mouse and keyboard if i do not flag the package mentioned above.

one thing i would like to do is clone the entire drive and file system and run tests on the clones first. but clones never seem to just be 1-2-1 copies, and the persistence partitions seem to become corrupt or broken.

is anyone able to offer any suggestion?

Do apt-get dist-upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_X View Post
    Do apt-get dist-upgrade
    that breaks my mouse and keyboard unless i mark the previously mentioned package to be held.

I'm sorry, I misread and skipped the fact you were using persistence.

For cloning, try clonezilla.

Regarding the issue, try using latest kali, 2018.2 or the weekly ISO. They contain latest version of the kernel and headers.

I find if I have issues with my persistence usb, I have to get the newest weekly image...always issues with the headers....seems usb persistence can not truly fully update. Once you have your usual stuff backed up it is quick to just make a new image and then usually the newer drivers and everything will install nicely. It is so much faster then trying to fix it.