Thread: [HELP] Installing Kali Linux in UEFI mode (NO Dual-Booting)

[HELP] Installing Kali Linux in UEFI mode (NO Dual-Booting)

Hello guys
    At first I want to says that my English is not native so if I have any errors excuse me please
    I want to install just Kali Linux 2018.2 without any existing OS but I have problems every guide about UEFI installation is related to Dual-Boot but I don't want this
    I want to install my OS with GPT layout and UEFI mode
    I am able to create a bootable device and boot it in UEFI mode but when I am done the installation process and proceed to restarting my device to boot Kali from my HDD device , it says that "No bootable device was found"
    I already tried different ways of bootabling my USB drive to boot installation from but no results (In some cases it didn't recognize the USB at all because it was Legacy but my device is UEFI)
    Finally I created my bootable USB this way:
    GPT partition scheme for UEFI
    by using "dd" instead of "ISO File" ("ISO File" mode didn't recognized by installer and required a device to load files from it)
    Now I created partitions in this way:
    1- 150GB for "/"
    2- 10GB for Swap
    3- 1GB for EFI (bootable flag is ON)
    4- and the rest left unallocated
    but again no results
    Even I tested to give over the partitioning part to installer it self but again no results (It also created the same way (EFI-Swap- /) but it used tho whole space of my HDD)
    Somthing that I didn't test was adding the EFI folder and the files because it is already exist (with one directory in EFI folder which is "boot" and 2 files inside that directory which are "bootia32.efi" and "bootia64.efi" but "grub.cfg" and others are outside EFI folder in the "boot" folder of the parent directory)
    Now I will be so grateful if someone can help me to install it in right way

I don't think you have to create partitions before installing. Just keep your hard drive unallocated. Installer will do the rest. Select Automatically partition the disk space while installing.

I tried this before but again resulting in "No Bootable device was found"
    I don't know just why does it happen
    Should I create partitions like (Reserved - System -Recovery) as they exist when Dual-Booting with windows?
    I know it is not logical but I don't really have any idea about what should I do

You don't have to create any partition. Just keep your hard drive unallocated.

It looks like the installer didn't install grub. Once the installation is finished, do you see that installer installs grub at the last step? You should try again.

I tried that before but again tried it but again "No Bootable Device"
    But there is somthing and it is about the confirmation of installing GRUB
    In lagacy mode it is asking about installing GRUB but here without any confirmation starts to install GRUB (such as grub.efi.amd64 and .....)
    Even I tried to create a bios reserved area but again no result
    Am I usuing correct options in rufus?
    Last edited by farid110; 2018-05-08 at 21:20.

Again no results
    I even tried to install CentOS in UEFI mode but system cannot find the GRUB boot-loader
    I don't why does it happen maybe the system is not Linux compatible because after installing CentOS ; I installed win10 :| and tried to Dual-Boot but again no success
    The only option that I can use is installing in Legacy mode which I don't prefer
    I don't have any of these problems in my own PC but it the first time that I see a system (Acer ES1-572-59GU) is not fully compatible with Linux (UEFI mode)
    Is it possible you think?
    or I do it wrong so GRUB cannot be booted in UEFI mode ?

Im having the same issue. When i finish the instalation and login, there is a total blank black screen.

I cant stop the instalation to configure G

But im trying to dual boot.

Don't install it in Legacy mode. It creates lot of problems with boot up.

Boot into kali live and show the output of fdisk -l.

Partitions look fine. Let's see if grub is installed in the EFI partition. Show the output of:

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    ls /mnt/EFI/kali

I mounted this this partition in that directory and here it is there is one file in it called "grubx64.efi"
    https://pasteboard.co/HkoD3bZ.png

Grub is installed.

Your UEFI is not detecting grub. Go to your UEFI settings and see if there is a directory where UEFI looks for bootoader. Show the screenshot of your UEFI settings.

That was an awsome idea !
    You are right I should have set the bootloader MANUALY in UEFI setting
    But you know , to do that I should have enabled the "Secure Boot" which I had disabled it when installing Kali
    So I turned it on (to be able to set the bootloader) and set the bootloader manualy (by chosing the GRUB bootloader file) and restarted and the GRUB has loaded !!! but entered in Rescue mode :-|
    So again I went to the Setting and disabled the the "Secure Boot" again :-|
    So ,This was the way that Kali could be booted in Acer Laptop and in my own idea it is not logical (Disable Secure Boot to install Kali - Enable it so the option enables for you to be able to set the Bootloader manualy - disable it again to prevent from being redirected to Rescue mode )!!!!!

Thank you again for helping me
    Acutally I should start installing Kali from over (and I hope not to face with an unexpected error like this!) because I want to install CentOS alongside Kali (You know I didn't setup LVM and it is hard to resize-shrink the volumes to get it in the way I want)
    Maybe someday somebody solve his/her problem via this Topic

Thanks so much again !

This is what secure boot meant to do. It doesn't boot those binaries that are not cryptographically signed by Microsoft. Grub is unsigned so you cannot boot grub in secure boot.

Once offensive security starts signing the kernel, you will be able to use shim-grub in secure boot. Shim-grub is signed by Microsoft.

Hi defalt,

Please excuse my english. I made an account in the hope to get you to reply to me.

I have a very similar, if not exact, problem to the author of this forum post.

I simply want to install just Kali Linux 2018.2 without another existing OS but I have problems every guide about UEFI installation is related to Dual-Boot but I don't want this.
    I am able to create a bootable device and boot it in UEFI mode but when I am done the installation process and proceed to restarting my device to boot Kali from my HDD device , it says that "No bootable device was found"
    I already tried different ways of bootabling my USB drive to boot installation from but no results at all, always "No device found"

Please find attached the output of fdisk -l (when i boot into live usb), you will notice that I do not have an EFI partition in place... would i Need to create one manually or something?

https://pasteboard.co/HoOYIVV.jpg

I would also send you the output of
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    ls /mnt/EFI/kali
    but I do not think that will work for me

Also, I used the Rosa Image Writer to write the latest Kali ISO image to my usb device if that helps. I am using a
    HP EliteBook 840 G4 i5 14" FHD Laptop with 256GB SSD

I have read a lot of your threads and I've tried to implement all of them but they were not exactly tailored to mine as I seem to have EFI missing and commands like install-grub/grub-update do not work.

Please please advise me on how to proceed.

My laptop was working fine until yesterday I updated some packages, restarted the laptop and suddenly no devices were booted. I have tried to re-install using live usb I do not know how many times.

Thank you very much.

@1onik my post here has some recommendations.