Thread: Cannot install Kali to internal hard drive.

Cannot install Kali to internal hard drive.

Hi all. I've been a Linux user for years, and I've used everything from Ubuntu, to Fedora, to Opensuse, Mandriva, Mint, Porteus, Lubuntu, Solace, etc., etc... I could go on, but you get the idea.

For quite some time now, I have carried a live Kali flash drive with encrypted persistence. I find it an incredibly useful tool. However, I have noticed that over time, I have all but stopped using my main OS (Currently Solus) and am almost always using my live Kali. It has become my "home" system, and I would like to install it to the hard drive for a speed boost and convenience. However, I'm being met with an issue I cannot solve. I've scoured google and have been unsuccessful. So now, I turn to you guys.

Here's what happens. I boot to the flash drive. I select the installer instead of the live system. I get this screen:

As expected. So I click on "Continue" and I am brought to this screen:

So far, so good. I click on "Continue" again, and am presented with this:

All is still going as it should. I click "Continue" again, and here is where I hit a problem. At first, things appear to be working:

It says it is loading installer components. This continues for several seconds, during which it seems to successfully load a number of components:

This seems to be working, but then it hits an error:

Saying that it failed to copy a file from the cd... I am installing from USB

Selecting retry simply returns the same error, as expected. My only options are to take a screenshot, or continue. Clicking continue takes me here:

...with my only options being to take a screenshot or continue. Hitting continue takes me to the installer main menu.

I have been searching google, and the closest problem I usually find is where it fails to detect cd-rom drives, and there are various solutions, the most common being to pull the flash drive when you hit the error and then reinsert it and retry. This is a different issue than mine it seems, but with almost no mention of my specific problem, I tried these anyways... To no avail. I have attempted installation with a few live Kali drives, all with the same result. I have re-downloaded the Kal iso, and created fresh live Kali drives, still with the same issue. I am using dd to create the live usbs. The main one I tried first has LUKS encryption, as it is my keychain drive,but I did not bother to encrypt the others I made in my attempts to install Kali.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That seems to be a characteristic of the installer. When I install from a USB it seem to search for a CD for a while then defaults back to the USB stick. The latest I installed this way was 2018-W12 on a Chromebook, previously installed on an Apollo Lake notebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
    That seems to be a characteristic of the installer. When I install from a USB it seem to search for a CD for a while then defaults back to the USB stick. The latest I installed this way was 2018-W12 on a Chromebook, previously installed on an Apollo Lake notebook.
    ... So then how did you get around it?

It most likely says CD because it was an ISO. The error message just need to be fine tuned to show a USB or CD but that's not very important.

Have you checked the checksum of the downloaded ISO?

Also which distro do you have ? I find the latest 2018-1 fails on an Apollo Lake system and only the weeklys 2018-W09 and after load properly.

But first +1 on the checksum. I have seen downloads appear to complete but are not really.

Verifying the checksum is a routine step I ALWAYS take when downloading an OS. I've downloaded several times, both latest and weekly, verified the checksum, created liveusb via the "dd" command, and been given the same result. I tried installing it on a different computer too, with the same results

"... So then how did you get around it? " I saw it searching for the CD but just left it alone for a few minutes then it reverted to the USB drive. For the Chromebook I did have to manually set the GRUB default boot disk but does not sound like you get that far. Which step in the main menu is highlighted when you hit "continue" ?

Create bootable USB using rufus in DD mode. It will work.

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Create bootable USB using rufus in DD mode. It will work.
    Took me a while to get back because I don't have easy access to a computer running Windows.

Nope... I got exactly the same result. No change

Have you tried creating a live usb WITHOUT persistence?
    Does that have the same problem?

The following is a script I have used to create a live usb WITH persistence.
    Disclaimer: I have not used it for quite some time, it may need an update.

# .......1.........2.........3.........4.........5.. .......6....
    # write iso to USB

X=b # sdb

iso=${1}

if [ ! -e $iso ] # file exists
    then
    echo; echo "$iso ?"; echo
    exit
    fi

sudo echo "Write $iso to /dev/sd${X}"
    sudo dd bs=1M if=$iso of=/dev/sd${X} oflag=direct status=progress && sync

end=${2}mb # 3900 4000 4016 8000

persist () {
    read start _ < <(du -bcm $iso | tail -1)
    echo "Persistence on /dev/sd${X} from $start to $end"
    sudo parted /dev/sd${X} mkpart primary $start $end &&
    sudo mkfs.ext3 -L persistence /dev/sd${X}3 &&
    sudo e2label /dev/sd${X}3 persistence &&
    sudo mkdir -p /mnt/my_usb &&
    sudo mount /dev/sd${X}3 /mnt/my_usb &&
    sudo sh -c "echo '/ union' > /mnt/my_usb/persistence.conf" &&
    sudo umount /dev/sd${X}3 &&
    sudo fdisk -l /dev/sd${X}
    }

persist

# .......1.........2.........3.........4.........5.. .......6....

Quote Originally Posted by alchemist011813 View Post
    Took me a while to get back because I don't have easy access to a computer running Windows.

Nope... I got exactly the same result. No change
    Have you changed it to DD mode? By default rufus uses ISO mode to burn image.

Hi!
    I had the same issue. Solved it by using the Win32 image sw https://newcontinuum.dl.sourceforge.....0-install.exe
    This is also in a help page of kali.com.
    Remember to select SHA256 for hash before you hit "write" in that program. I used a small 4gb thumbdrive

I got the same error too while i was trying to install it in my windows10 UEFI ASUS ROG laptop can please tell me a solution i was very desperate i have tried many ways...please tell me a solution