Thread: HP laptop wifi is disabled

HP laptop wifi is disabled

Hi,

I have a HP pavalion laptop that has UEFI mode with kali and windows installed.
    I can get the ethernet working with no extra steps but the wifi is always showing disabled. The wifi key turns red on my keypad when I start the boot. In windows then it turns to white and is able to perform as expected but with linux there seems to be no way to make it work. I have a spare usb wifi with me which is also having the same problem.

I have gone through some google search and tried out few things but nothing works.

I am hoping someone can help me with this, I travel a lot and wifi is the necessity without it all my work will be on hold.

Here is the rfkill list all output:

Code:
    root@localhost:~# rfkill list all
    0: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: yes
    root@localhost:~# 
    root@localhost:~# iwconfig 
    lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:off/any  
              Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=off   
              Retry short  long limit:2   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off

root@localhost:~# lspci -nnk | grep 0280 -A2
    07:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Ralink corp. RT3290 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe [1814:3290]
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Ralink RT3290LE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter [103c:18ec]
        Kernel driver in use: rt2800pci

root@localhost:~# modprobe hp_wireless
    root@localhost:~# lsmod | grep -e hp -e wmi
    hp_wmi                 16384  0
    sparse_keymap          16384  1 hp_wmi
    wmi_bmof               16384  0
    rfkill                 28672  5 hp_wmi,cfg80211
    wmi                    28672  2 wmi_bmof,hp_wmi
    hp_accel               28672  0
    lis3lv02d              24576  1 hp_accel
    shpchp                 40960  0
    hp_wireless            16384  0

Please if anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated...

Hard block usually indicates there's a physical switch that needs to be turned off to enable wifi. After you login, hit your wifi switch, then run rfkill again. If the device is still showing hard blocked, be sure to turn on wifi in the GUI.

Quote Originally Posted by grid View Post
    Hard block usually indicates there's a physical switch that needs to be turned off to enable wifi. After you login, hit your wifi switch, then run rfkill again. If the device is still showing hard blocked, be sure to turn on wifi in the GUI.
    I have tired what you suggested but rfkill still shows the device as hard block. All the other function keys like volume and brighness are working except for the wifi key. It stays red even after pressing it.

As i said it starts off with red while booting then turns to white in case of windows booting and stays red with any other linux. Also if I insert a USB wifi dongle which works fine with other laptops has the same problem within linux with this laptop.

Any other solutions we can try?

As for any driver-related error, look into dmesg after you press the button to see if there is anything mentioning it.

Remember that Kali is based on debian testing when doing your google search.

Like Mister_X said, check dmesg for any issues. Also, did you try turning on the wi-fi in the GUI? In Gnome, click the battery icon in the upper right corner, and you'll get a window showing wi-fi status

A have those issue with some HP laptops. The way I solve it is to go in BIOS and put all value "SET AS DEFAULT" then save and after that configure BIOS as
    it was.
    Repetitio est mater studiorum