Thread: Display Drivers and Kernal Drivers?

Display Drivers and Kernal Drivers?

Hello,

As I am new to Kali and Linux I am still finding my way around quite a lot of stuff. I am trying to learn more about the tools but I am unsure where to look. I know posting about tools is not allowed but if someone could point me in the direction of where to find this information I would be grateful.

So my question is this:

I have a HP Omen 17-an012na which I have dual booted into Kali and Windows 10. When using hashcat I get the error of "Device #1: Not a native Intel OpenCL runtime. Expect massive speed loss." So after some Google searching it looks like it could be using the the wrong display drivers. As I believe that hashcat can use both the CPU and GPU processors for cracking keys (rightly or wrongly). I have used aircrack previously on my home WiFi and it took ages so I was looking for a quicker way and someone mentioned hashcat.

So I found a way of installing the drivers but it gives me an error:

ERROR: The Nouveau kernel driver is currently in use by your system. This
    driver is incompatible with the NVIDIA driver, and must be disabled
    before proceeding. Please consult the NVIDIA driver README and your
    Linux distribution's documentation for details on how to correctly
    disable the Nouveau kernel driver.

So I am wondering if it is safe to do the above and disable the Nouveau kernal driver on Kali or if it will break anything? I am also wondering if it is OK to do then is there a proper way to do this on Kali?

Thanks

James

Here is a tip valid for any tool: Look into their documentation and check how they give support.

Hashcat has a forum and IRC but this one is pretty obvious, you need to install NVIDIA driver.

Thanks so its not going to break anything else? Ans is there a proper way of removing / disabling the Nouveau kernel driver?

Also I presume hashcat does use the CPU and GPU?

I have got past that issue after some further Googling but the internet is now seeming to fail me..

I am now getting "ERROR: An error occurred while performing the step: "Building kernel
    modules"

I have looked in the log file and the only errors I can find is:

compilation terminated.
    /usr/src/linux-headers-4.16.0-kali2-common/scripts/Makefile.build:329: recip$
    make[3]: *** [/tmp/selfgz1594/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-375.20/kernel/nvidia-drm/n$
    make[3]: Target '__build' not remade because of errors.
    /usr/src/linux-headers-4.16.0-kali2-common/Makefile:1578: recipe for target $
    make[2]: *** [_module_/tmp/selfgz1594/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-375.20/kernel] Err$
    make[2]: Target 'modules' not remade because of errors.
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.16.0-kali2-amd64'
    Makefile:146: recipe for target 'sub-make' failed
    make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
    make[1]: Target 'modules' not remade because of errors.
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.16.0-kali2-common'
    Makefile:81: recipe for target 'modules' failed
    make: *** [modules] Error 2
    -> Error.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Thanks

James