Thread: Enable ssh at boot

Enable ssh at boot

For a long time, I was unable to get the 'ssh' service to start up at boot time. I'll describe the problems I encountered, and then the solution. I used VMware Workstation v10.0.0.5 to create a 64 bit kali vm, installed from the latest (v1.1.0a) ISO.

Out of the box, brand new, 'rcconf' does not even show/list the 'ssh' service.
    I could tweak the 'ssh' service with 'sysv-rc-conf', for run-levels 2, 3, 4 and 5. Reboot. 'rcconf' would then show the 'ssh' service.
    It still didn't start at boot (by checking service status, and ps). Another check in sysv-rc-conf would show ssh as still be started for run-levels 2, 3, 4, and 5.

I looked into: "update-rc.d -f ssh enable 2 3 4 5" and that fixed the issue. The 'ssh' would be running after every reboot.

Another interesting detail: The magic line at the top of /etc/init.d/ssh, contains a space: "#!<space>/bin/sh". I removed the space in my VM for consistency, but thought you all should know.

Just FYI, 1.1.0a is pretty old, current version is 2018.2. VMware workstation current version is 14, you are quite a few years behind.

"update-rc.d ssh enable" is enough to enable it at boot, no need for all the parameters you mention. You should check out https://kali.training for more useful commands

"For a long time" that's too long and too old version, I'm using a latest and I got no problem in ssh.