Thread: WiFi connected. But no Internet access

Exclamation WiFi connected. But no Internet access

Dear All,

I have done a "full installation" (not inside virtual box, but directly on hdd) of Kali 2018.2 (32 bit) yesterday on my Lenovo G570 laptop with broadcom wireless chip.

During the installation itself, I connected to WiFi. After completing the installation, I logged in as root, opened firefox and entered www.google.com . But it could not connect to internet. I restarted the system and tried again. But still no internet connectivity inside Kali. But other devices connected to same wifi are getting internet connection. Also, i have used other linux distributions like Parrot Security OS 4.1 on this laptop and it never had any problem with wifi or internet connection.

Do I need to configure some settings after a fresh install of Kali?

Is there anything wrong with the wifi driver?

What exactly is the problem here?
    Someone please help me with this. I was so eager to use kali, but now it is completely useless without internet connection.

Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmndr View Post
    Dear All,

I have done a "full installation" (not inside virtual box, but directly on hdd) of Kali 2018.2 (32 bit) yesterday on my Lenovo G570 laptop with broadcom wireless chip.

During the installation itself, I connected to WiFi. After completing the installation, I logged in as root, opened firefox and entered www.google.com . But it could not connect to internet. I restarted the system and tried again. But still no internet connectivity inside Kali. But other devices connected to same wifi are getting internet connection. Also, i have used other linux distributions like Parrot Security OS 4.1 on this laptop and it never had any problem with wifi or internet connection.

Do I need to configure some settings after a fresh install of Kali?

Is there anything wrong with the wifi driver?

What exactly is the problem here?
    Someone please help me with this. I was so eager to use kali, but now it is completely useless without internet connection.

Please help.
    I had the same problem with my Acer desktop computer. I tried to connect to a mifi hotspot but it wouldnt connect, when I try with windows os it works. I changed options in my mifi to usb tethering sure enough got a connection.
    easy to start; hard to finish

you mean you changed some settings in your mobile hotspot and you got internet connection in kali linux after that? if so, which are the settings you changed?

you mean you changed some settings in your mobile hotspot and you got internet connection in kali linux after that? if so, which are the settings you changed?
    I changed the usb port from charging only to usb tethering. If your device has it you would find it under settings area. Then I plugged it into my desktop and it said usb ethernet connected. Then I had internet.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbiz View Post
    I changed the usb port from charging only to usb tethering. If your device has it you would find it under settings area. Then I plugged it into my desktop and it said usb ethernet connected. Then I had internet.
    Thank you. It worked. I appreciate your help. But still I am not able to access internet through WiFi. (which is more convenient).

Thank you. It worked. I appreciate your help. But still I am not able to access internet through WiFi. (which is more convenient).
    If you find a solution post here I want same too.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbiz View Post
    If you find a solution post here I want same too.
    update: i found solution that worked for me, I used it on my windows machine then troubleshoot the connection. Then went back to kali now it workes!