Thread: Kali 2018.2 extremely slow and laggy after apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

Kali 2018.2 extremely slow and laggy after apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

Dear Hackers and Pentesters,

I have recently installed kali Linux (after a long break) on my HDD and I decided that it'd be a very good idea to run an
    Code:
    apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
    to upgrade the tools etc (just like in the post install tips). After the update was finished I discovered that kali has slowed down tremendously. The graphics became extremely laggy; windows opening and closing became very laggy (basically framedrop) and overall it was painful to watch. The problem however only occurred after the update. Originally before the update kali was working perfectly (opening and closing windows was smooth). My PC runs everything very smoothly even Windows 10 and Ubuntu. So my question is, is there an issue with a tool that's being updated that breaks the graphics or something like that? I honestly have no idea what is wrong with it. It would be very helpful if one of you fellow developers/hackers could tell me what might be wrong with the current distro because previously when I ran kali like 1 or 2 years ago it seemed fine; is there a bug in kali? And I should also add that I also installed a weekly build of kali Linux and it had the same issue out of the box - basically extremely laggy and slow.
    It would be very helpful if you could tell me what I should do or if I should update it at all because maybe there's a bug with the distro or something.

My PC specs are:

Processor: intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4170 CPU @ 3.70GHz
    RAM: 8.00GB
    System Type: 64-bit
    Graphics: intel(R) HD Graphics 4400

I think that my PC should handle kali Linux graphics because it does handle windows 10 and ubuntu very well with no issues at all (0 lag).
    Any help will be much appreciated. I am new to these forums so I don't really know if I posted it to the right forum but I'm really desperate so I took a wild guess and posted it over here.

I'd check the logs for errors (/var/log, dmesg output, journalctl output). Which version of Kali are you running?

Hi,

I had the same issue as you can see in my other thread, did you try to download the driver of your network card manually ? It worked pretty good two years ago for me too but the WiFi got really slow when I installed it back this weekend, I guess something change so yeah look about the driver manually.

I'm pretty sure that it is the newest one. I downloaded it from the official website (kali Linux 2018.2 64-bit). Until someone tells me what could be causing this I decided to just reinstall kali and not upgrade it. I'm only updating the tools I use.