Thread: Wireless Adapter Not Detected

Wireless Adapter Not Detected

Hi All,

I just installed Kali Linux 2018.2 on my laptop which has a Broadcom BCM43142 WiFi Adapter in it. But the problem is that the OS is not able to detect it.

I tried the following commands to fix this issue but it didn't work:
    # apt-get update
    # apt-get install linux-image-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,') linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,') broadcom-sta-dkms

# modprobe -r b44 b43 b43legacy ssb brcmsmac bcma

# modprobe wl

So you don't see any output when running iwconfig? Are there any errors when you run dmesg?

Actually, just after posting this issue I restarted my computer and magically it worked so thank you for your interest interest in solving the problem. And this thread can be closed.

Hey Guys! I'm running Kali via Live USB with persistence and having a same issue. My Wifi adapter is not detecting. Shall I format the USB and install fresh image or are there any tshoot steps anyone can guide me with?

@omkarparth, glad it's working for you

I've never tried to do wi-fi work with a persistent USB stick. However, first thing I'd check is the output of dmesg, and journalctl.

What's the brand and chipset of your wi-fi card? Is it listed as compatible here on the forums and at aircrack-ng.org?

same problem.How can i download broadcom driver files, since i dont have wlan connection .pls send me to links.

After upgrading from 2018.2 to 2018.3 I have "no wireless extensions." message when running iwconfig, i'm also using a broadcom card.

I just followed these instructions:
    https://wiki.debian.org/wl

And now it's working flawlessly

Since using Live and you cant permanently chance that an easy way, just install it again and this time when its asking premier adapter chose wlan0 to be the one.

Hi bros!

Reason to "slow" wlan0 or eth0 after dist upgrade, can be as multi-issued as you pc. Most likely, something is not "on" when it should, or something if not supporting something as it should. If you are using laptop, make sure it supports X-11 and all new staff there is (in my case only X-9 supported with this older one. newer one works just fine with anything) On Kali, wlan0 is supposed to be automatic "on", but if not, you can make it starting at boot with #chkconfig command (there is an issue with that too on new Dist... "command not found")

If you have your pc with you latest BIOS, it should work just fine with Kali. Other thing you can try (if using mostly wlan0) is installing Kali with using wifi as primary option (worked with my really really old Toshiba laptop)

Too bad Linux dont have as good tools as windows sysinternals tools to "deeb" search with one tool for everything that matters

Same problem with me. I cannot run Internet to find a solution since I cannot connect from Kali to Internet to find a solution, by the way my dongle is Realtek RTL8188ETV Wireless LAN 802.11n Network Adapter. Any suggestin? Since Windows 10/64 has no installing issues. Thanks in advance

Cool Bcm43142

My laptop is Lenovo flex 2 pro 15 and I had the same problem.

I have modified these steps and for me works with live USB boot, persistence and version

# uname -a

Linux kali 4.17.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.17.8-1kali1 (2018-07-24) x86_64 GNU/Linux ----------> please make sure you have the same version

And you have the same hardware than me, using lspci

# lspci
    02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Limited BCM43142 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)

Update and install necessary packages

# apt-get update
    # apt-get install linux-image-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]-[^-]-,,') linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]-[^-]-,,')

Download some extra packages, that do the trick for "wl module not found"

Code:
    # wget http://http.kali.org/kali/pool/main/linux-kbuild-4.17_4.17.17-1kali1_amd64.deb
    # wget http://http.kali.org/kali/pool/main/linux-headers-4.17.0-kali1-common_4.17.8-1kali1_all.deb
    # wget http://http.kali.org/kali/pool/main/linux-headers-4.17.0-kali1-amd64_4.17.8-1kali1_amd64.deb
    Install with correct order the .deb downloaded before,

# dpkg -i linux-kbuild-4.17_4.17.17-1kali1_amd64.deb
    # dpkg -i linux-headers-4.17.0-kali1-common_4.17.8-1kali1_all.deb
    # dpkg -i linux-headers-4.17.0-kali1-amd64_4.17.8-1kali1_amd64.deb

Install broadcom drivers

# apt-get install broadcom-sta-dkms

Enable modules and disabled unnecessary ones

# modprobe -r b44 b43 b43legacy ssb brcmsmac bcma
    # modprobe wl

Now works fine
    Last edited by josete; 2018-09-09 at 06:55. Reason: some commands are automatically completed with triple dots

Quote Originally Posted by omkarparth View Post
    Actually, just after posting this issue I restarted my computer and magically it worked so thank you for your interest interest in solving the problem. And this thread can be closed.
    Thanks for the heads up on restarting the computer. Had been in a continuous loop
    trying to find out why the drivers where not working after installation. Read your
    note, tried it and Voila _ suddenly there was connectivity.

Thank you a lot the commanond my HP elitebook with a

# apt-get install broadcom-sta-dkms

fix it for me with the card I swap for when i'm booting hackintosh MAC OS :

azurewave Broadcom bcm94352hmb Carte/bcm94352 802.11 ac et BT4.0 Mini PCI-E 867 Mbit Carte

. So now I HAve KAli full fledge. Thank you again

my usb cant detect and wireless adapter too
    i dont know what happen!
    i cant fix it, in ubuntu i didnt have that problem
    every solution dont work corectly

@avnmrkt, open a new thread with more details:
    - Is it a VM or are you running live or installed?
    - Is that a USB adapter? what is the output of lsusb?
    - Is it a PCI/built-in? What is the output of lspci?
    - What version of kali are you running? x86, or ARM (and which)?

run rfkill if you get wlan hard blocked then try pressing Fn+F12 the key may be different for your pc.