Thread: Kali Live with Persistence 2018.2 apt-get upgrade takes too long

Kali Live with Persistence 2018.2 apt-get upgrade takes too long

Hello guys,

I am running Kali Live with persistence on my Asus n550jk - intel i7 - Kingston 32 gb USB 3.0 usb drive - 16 GB ram.

It tool literally about 9 hours to complete ?apt-get upgrade? command. Espacially in ?Unpacking new versions on old versions.?. First of all is it normal to take 9 hours?

I did not install any other program after re-installation, I suspect my Kali does not make use of USB 3.0 support or 16GB ram or intel i7 core. Is there a way to make sure my Kali Live with persistence uses all of my Asus N550JK laptops abilities?

Thanks in advance.

I had the same issue, I thought maybe it was to do with sharing the usb ports with the usb kali stick, my wireless ap, and my mouse. I now just save what I need to save in a folder on the desktop and re-install the weekly image every 3 weeks or month...goes pretty quick once you have done it a few times. Keeps everything fresh! Also I hate troubleshooting for hours lol. I would say try a usb slot on the other side of the laptop or disconnect another usb device to see if that is an issue, I am sure your usb drive or system is not the issue. Fast usb memory makes it much better experience for install or update!

I just had the same issue with kali 2018.3a encrypted persistence but I had some interesting results... I first did an install on a SanDisk 64GB USB 3.0 thumbdrive that I bought sometime in early 2017 and it worked great - installed fine, very snappy, no issues with anything.

Then I got the idea to buy a brand new high capacity, high speed thumbdrive (Patriot Supersonic Rage 2 256GB) as I thought it would be even better, but that's where I encountered the problem. Installation and persistence went fine, but as soon as I booted into the encrypted persistence environment and started running, I noticed everything was EXTREMELY slow on the new drive. I tried doing an apt update/apt upgrade but it literally took hours. I checked "top" and didn't see any offending processes. It was so laggy that I couldn't even log back in once the system went to the lock screen.

Just for grins, I went back to my old thumbdrive (the 2017 64GB Sandisk) and everything worked great, as if I were on bare metal.

Evidently it's happy with some USB drives but not others and the spec speeds don't seem to be the underlying issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
    I just had the same issue with kali 2018.3a encrypted persistence but I had some interesting results... I first did an install on a SanDisk 64GB USB 3.0 thumbdrive that I bought sometime in early 2017 and it worked great - installed fine, very snappy, no issues with anything.

Then I got the idea to buy a brand new high capacity, high speed thumbdrive (Patriot Supersonic Rage 2 256GB) as I thought it would be even better, but that's where I encountered the problem. Installation and persistence went fine, but as soon as I booted into the encrypted persistence environment and started running, I noticed everything was EXTREMELY slow on the new drive. I tried doing an apt update/apt upgrade but it literally took hours. I checked "top" and didn't see any offending processes. It was so laggy that I couldn't even log back in once the system went to the lock screen.

Just for grins, I went back to my old thumbdrive (the 2017 64GB Sandisk) and everything worked great, as if I were on bare metal.

Evidently it's happy with some USB drives but not others and the spec speeds don't seem to be the underlying issue...
    An upgrade ussually takes 45min to 1 hour sometimes longer. Depends on your connection ect.
    easy to start; hard to finish