Thread: Bootable USB drive on UEFI machines?

Bootable USB drive on UEFI machines?

It sounds like it should be doable, but I can't seem to get it to work. I tried win32k installer, which didn't work. After some google searching, it sounded like Yumi would work, that didn't work either. Further searching suggested maybe the thumbdrive was the wrong format, so I used diskpart to format it to FAT32, then used Yumi again, and same result. Whenever I try to boot off the thumb drive (which the BIOS lists it in my bootable options) it just immediately reboots (I see my Sager logo, which shouldn't happen when booting from a thumb drive, then it logs into windows instead of getting whatever GRUB loader).

Any idea how to get this to work? I'm testing it on my personal laptop, but I'd like to get it to work on my work Surface Desktop, and I'm assuming it's the same issue (UEFI?)

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    It sounds like it should be doable, but I can't seem to get it to work. I tried win32k installer, which didn't work. After some google searching, it sounded like Yumi would work, that didn't work either. Further searching suggested maybe the thumbdrive was the wrong format, so I used diskpart to format it to FAT32, then used Yumi again, and same result. Whenever I try to boot off the thumb drive (which the BIOS lists it in my bootable options) it just immediately reboots (I see my Sager logo, which shouldn't happen when booting from a thumb drive, then it logs into windows instead of getting whatever GRUB loader).

Any idea how to get this to work? I'm testing it on my personal laptop, but I'd like to get it to work on my work Surface Desktop, and I'm assuming it's the same issue (UEFI?)
    Secure boot is disabled?
    easy to start; hard to finish

There must be something wrong with my thumbdrive. Even with Secure Boot disabled it doesn't work (or using the one-time boot function). One of my coworkers got his to boot into Kali, but then he couldn't do anything with it (I'm assuming there's some kind of driver issue with how the surface desktop connects to its keyboard that Kali doesn't understand, but that's just a guess).

try etcher it works every time for me
    i don't know how everyone gets problem with dual boot with my acer i can install dual boot always

Quote Originally Posted by Betyar View Post
    try etcher it works every time for me
    i don't know how everyone gets problem with dual boot with my acer i can install dual boot always
    I'm not even trying to dual boot. Just get it to boot off of a thumbdrive. My co-workers thumbdrive works just fine on my personal laptop, but mine (created with Yumi) does not. I see it in my boot options as (UEFI: PNY 3.0 etc), but when I select it it just reboots the computer instead of loading GRUB. I'll give etcher a try!

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    I'm not even trying to dual boot. Just get it to boot off of a thumbdrive. My co-workers thumbdrive works just fine on my personal laptop, but mine (created with Yumi) does not. I see it in my boot options as (UEFI: PNY 3.0 etc), but when I select it it just reboots the computer instead of loading GRUB. I'll give etcher a try!
    Just a thought. If your co-worker thumb will boot on your laptop while your own thumb drive won't, can you at least try to ask your co-worker to boot your thumb drive on his/her computer and see what happens?