Thread: Can't deactivate airplane mode

Can't deactivate airplane mode

Hi everyone, sorry if my post are confused but i'm confused too.

I install Kali Linux 2018.2 in to my Lenovo Thinkpad t420, it works very well, but i can't deactivate airplane mode, i try a lot of guides for solve the problem, rfkill, install a driver packet name compact-wireless-2010-06-26, try to unblock wifi with hardware button but i continue to connect my device only with the ethernet cable.

I hope you can help me with my problems, it's my first post, sorry if i missed something.

Output of lspci command:

Code:
    03:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter (rev 01)
    Output of airmon-ng --verbose:

Code:
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:    Kali
    Description:    Kali GNU/Linux Rolling
    Release:    kali-rolling
    Codename:    kali-rolling

Linux kali 4.17.0-kali3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.17.17-1kali1 (2018-08-21) x86_64 GNU/Linux

K indicates driver is from 4.17.0-kali3-amd64
    V indicates driver comes directly from the vendor, almost certainly a bad thing
    S indicates driver comes from the staging tree, these drivers are meant for reference not actual use, BEWARE
    ? indicates we do not know where the driver comes from... report this

X[PHY]Interface        Driver[Stack]-FirmwareRev        Chipset                Extended Info

K[phy0]wlan0        rtl8192ce[mac80211]-N/A
    Output of rfkill list:

Code:
    0: tpacpi_bluetooth_sw: Bluetooth
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: yes
    1: tpacpi_wwan_sw: Wireless WAN
    2: phy0: Wireless LAN
    Output of iwconfig:

Code:
    lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:off/any  
              Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=off   
              Retry short limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:on

wwan0     no wireless extensions.
    This is all my output for try to solve problems, if you need other information i'll try to give you fast.

Thanks for answers.

It seems like there is a Hardware Block on your Laptop, you need to look for an Airplane Mode Lock on the Computer.
    I also have a Lenovo Thinkpad and it is F7 to enable and disable Airplane Mode. It should be the same but if not google it.

FYI, it's compat-wireless, not compact-wireless. It was meant to use on older kernels to backport work done on the current one at the time. If you were successfull installing it, you would have downgraded your drivers to something from 2010 (8 years old code) and it most likely won't support that adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_X View Post
    FYI, it's compat-wireless, not compact-wireless. It was meant to use on older kernels to backport work done on the current one at the time. If you were successfull installing it, you would have downgraded your drivers to something from 2010 (8 years old code) and it most likely won't support that adapter.
    How i can downgrade my drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ne'eman View Post
    It seems like there is a Hardware Block on your Laptop, you need to look for an Airplane Mode Lock on the Computer.
    I also have a Lenovo Thinkpad and it is F7 to enable and disable Airplane Mode. It should be the same but if not google it.
    I try and try to unblock my wifi with hardware button but it just popup to screen and nothing happens.
    Last edited by maiki; 2018-09-04 at 09:19. Reason: Merge Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yondami96 View Post
    How i can downgrade my drivers?

I try and try to unblock my wifi with hardware button but it just popup to screen and nothing happens.
    Have you tired checking into "modprobe"?

I used to use a HP laptop that had an issue with a realtek wifi and using modprobe rtlxxxx would bring it back up (depending on your wifi driver)

If you check on google it's a common issue fro certain rtl drivers.

Hi everyone, sorry if my post are confused but i'm confused too.

I install Kali Linux 2018.2 in to my Lenovo Thinkpad t420, it works very well, but i can't deactivate airplane mode, i try a lot of guides for solve the problem, rfkill, install a driver packet name compact-wireless-2010-06-26, try to unblock wifi with hardware button but i continue to connect my device only with the ethernet cable.

I hope you can help me with my problems, it's my first post, sorry if i missed something.

Output of lspci command:

Code:
    03:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter (rev 01)
    Output of airmon-ng --verbose:

Code:
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:    Kali
    Description:    Kali GNU/Linux Rolling
    Release:    kali-rolling
    Codename:    kali-rolling

Linux kali 4.17.0-kali3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.17.17-1kali1 (2018-08-21) x86_64 GNU/Linux

K indicates driver is from 4.17.0-kali3-amd64
    V indicates driver comes directly from the vendor, almost certainly a bad thing
    S indicates driver comes from the staging tree, these drivers are meant for reference not actual use, BEWARE
    ? indicates we do not know where the driver comes from... report this

X[PHY]Interface        Driver[Stack]-FirmwareRev        Chipset                Extended Info

K[phy0]wlan0        rtl8192ce[mac80211]-N/A
    Output of rfkill list:

Code:
    0: tpacpi_bluetooth_sw: Bluetooth
    1: tpacpi_wwan_sw: Wireless WAN
    2: phy0: Wireless LAN
    Output of iwconfig:

Code:
    lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:off/any  
              Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=off   
              Retry short limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:on

wwan0     no wireless extensions.
    This is all my output for try to solve problems, if you need other information i'll try to give you fast.

Thanks for answers.
    Try to deactivate it in the bios yet. My laptop will activate and deactivate connections from the bios.
    easy to start; hard to finish

Quote Originally Posted by eldhawke View Post
    Have you tired checking into "modprobe"?

I used to use a HP laptop that had an issue with a realtek wifi and using modprobe rtlxxxx would bring it back up (depending on your wifi driver)

If you check on google it's a common issue fro certain rtl drivers.
    I'm really really tired, modprobe not works with my driver
    modprobe: FATAL: Module rtl8188ce not found in directory /lib/modules/4.17.0-kali3-amd64

I try every single post and guides to install that but nothing works don't know why, now i have a question if i buy this external wireless card Alfa Network AWUS036NHA with monitor for packing, i can use wifi or is blocked forever?

I'm really really tired, modprobe not works with my driver
    modprobe: FATAL: Module rtl8188ce not found in directory /lib/modules/4.17.0-kali3-amd64

I try every single post and guides to install that but nothing works don't know why, now i have a question if i buy this external wireless card Alfa Network AWUS036NHA with monitor for packing, i can use wifi or is blocked forever?
    ok, well this is progress right...don't give up yet

so now you know the drivers are not working, so let's go back to that and give it another shot and focus on the rtl8192ce drivers.

To answer you last question, no, you are not completely locked out from using wireless it's just this particular model and driver giving you issues...in specific the rtl8192ce.

If you want to give it another shot take a look into the posts:

Code:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/951081/cannot-connect-to-wifi-with-rtl8188ce-only-lan-option-shows-up
    Code:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/471208/realtek-wireless-adapter-issues-rtl8192ce-and-rtl8192cu
    Code:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/260991/rtl8188ce-wifi-adapter-is-not-detected-after-installing-newest-realtek-driver

Quote Originally Posted by eldhawke View Post
    ok, well this is progress right...don't give up yet

so now you know the drivers are not working, so let's go back to that and give it another shot and focus on the rtl8192ce drivers.

To answer you last question, no, you are not completely locked out from using wireless it's just this particular model and driver giving you issues...in specific the rtl8192ce.

If you want to give it another shot take a look into the posts:

Code:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/951081/cannot-connect-to-wifi-with-rtl8188ce-only-lan-option-shows-up
    Code:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/471208/realtek-wireless-adapter-issues-rtl8192ce-and-rtl8192cu
    Code:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/260991/rtl8188ce-wifi-adapter-is-not-detected-after-installing-newest-realtek-driver
    OHHHHH YESSS MAN, i solved my problem with the first link of your post (the commands in the other 2 link are offline), thank you all men really thank you!

OHHHHH YESSS MAN, i solved my problem with the first link of your post (the commands in the other 2 link are offline), thank you all men really thank you!
    This is great to hear.

so that means hp_wmi was blacklisted and causing some type of issue with the realtek drivers.

I guess this thread can be closed and marked as solved.

For the mods: maybe the tread title can have "rtl8192ce" added to it too?