Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Raspberry Pi 3 B Error During 'dist-upgrade'

  1. #1
    Join Date
    2018-Sep
    Posts
    4

    Raspberry Pi 3 B Error During 'dist-upgrade'

    I created a Kali linux SD card sometime ago and everything was working just fine. Long story short, I had to make a new image recently. The site is different and has way more options for Raspberry pi than before. I have tried 3 different images, two different cards and, receive the same error every time.

    On a fresh install I preform the following commands with zero issues:
    Code:
    apt-get update
    Code:
    apt-get install kali-linux-full
    Once I run
    Code:
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    or
    Code:
    apt-get upgrade
    I receive the same error at the very end. Below you can find the output I'm receiving.

    Setting up raspi3-firmware (1.20180619-1) ...
    Error: missing /boot/firmware, did you forget to mount it?
    dpkg: error processing package raspi3-firmware (--configure)
    installed raspi3-firmware package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    raspi3-firmware

    I always just used the images in the past from the downloads section, then used "ApplePi-Baker". From there I always use the "prep for noobs" to format the card then I import the image to the card. In the past never had any issues. Raspberry pi 3 b. I appreciate any info you may have.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    2014-Feb
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlommy View Post
    I created a Kali linux SD card sometime ago and everything was working just fine. Long story short, I had to make a new image recently. The site is different and has way more options for Raspberry pi than before. I have tried 3 different images, two different cards and, receive the same error every time.

    On a fresh install I preform the following commands with zero issues:
    Code:
    apt-get update
    Code:
    apt-get install kali-linux-full
    Once I run
    Code:
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    or
    Code:
    apt-get upgrade
    I receive the same error at the very end. Below you can find the output I'm receiving.

    Setting up raspi3-firmware (1.20180619-1) ...
    Error: missing /boot/firmware, did you forget to mount it?
    dpkg: error processing package raspi3-firmware (--configure)
    installed raspi3-firmware package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    raspi3-firmware

    I always just used the images in the past from the downloads section, then used "ApplePi-Baker". From there I always use the "prep for noobs" to format the card then I import the image to the card. In the past never had any issues. Raspberry pi 3 b. I appreciate any info you may have.
    I've just tested it myself, and can reproduce the issue. It seems that Debian's package expects /boot/firmware to be its own mount point instead of a directory. Due to the way we create images, the test for the mount point isn't run at creation because we do it with virtualization.


    While it does throw that error, the package installs, the postinst is failing to run.

    What you'll want to do, to make sure you're on the latest boot loader, is to

    Code:
    cp /usr/lib/raspi3-firmware/* /boot/
    sync
    I'll add this to my list of things to look into.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    2018-Sep
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by steev View Post
    I've just tested it myself, and can reproduce the issue. It seems that Debian's package expects /boot/firmware to be its own mount point instead of a directory. Due to the way we create images, the test for the mount point isn't run at creation because we do it with virtualization.


    While it does throw that error, the package installs, the postinst is failing to run.

    What you'll want to do, to make sure you're on the latest boot loader, is to

    Code:
    cp /usr/lib/raspi3-firmware/* /boot/
    sync
    I'll add this to my list of things to look into.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I did try this but it's not working. Should I restart? also what image do you recommend for raspberry pi 3 b?

    edit: Sorry I was half sleep when responding. Your supplied commands did work when entered. I did however run the upgrade command after and it did error again.

    Code:
    Setting up raspi3-firmware (1.20180619-1) ...
    Error: missing /boot/firmware, did you forget to mount it?
    dpkg: error processing package raspi3-firmware (--configure):
     installed raspi3-firmware package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     raspi3-firmware
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    I also decided to take a peak inside each folder.. it does look like they are copying over?

    Code:
    root@kali:/boot# ls
    COPYING.linux           bcm2710-rpi-3-b-plus.dtb  firmware      kernel7.img
    bcm2708-rpi-0-w.dtb     bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb       fixup.dat     overlays
    bcm2708-rpi-b-plus.dtb  bcm2710-rpi-cm3.dtb       fixup_cd.dat  start.elf
    bcm2708-rpi-b.dtb       bootcode.bin              fixup_db.dat  start_cd.elf
    bcm2708-rpi-cm.dtb      cmdline.txt               fixup_x.dat   start_db.elf
    bcm2709-rpi-2-b.dtb     config.txt                kernel.img    start_x.elf
    root@kali:/boot# cd /usr/lib/raspi3-firmware/
    root@kali:/usr/lib/raspi3-firmware# ls
    bootcode.bin  fixup_cd.dat  fixup_x.dat  start_cd.elf  start_x.elf
    fixup.dat     fixup_db.dat  start.elf    start_db.elf
    root@kali:/usr/lib/raspi3-firmware#
    So I just noticed its looking in /boot/firmware and not in /boot/ like the command you supplied. I tried copying files to /boot/firmware instead and it didn't seem to help either. Were you able to get dist-upgrade to work on your end?
    Last edited by Tlommy; 2018-09-09 at 06:42. Reason: additional information

  4. #4
    Join Date
    2018-Apr
    Posts
    3
    i have the same issue, since i fresh installed kali arm 2018.3 rpi3 nexmon on my new pi3b+ , and i didi not do the dist-upgrade . i just did apt upgrade, i don't how to fix it

  5. #5
    Join Date
    2018-Sep
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by virvivir View Post
    i have the same issue, since i fresh installed kali arm 2018.3 rpi3 nexmon on my new pi3b+ , and i didi not do the dist-upgrade . i just did apt upgrade, i don't how to fix it
    Im not sure. If you look above a user gave a possible fix but it didn't seem to fix the issue, at least for me. I did try both upgrade and dist-upgrade. Both seem to fail before and after I tried the code that was supplied above. I imagine maybe it just needs to be in a different folder or maybe the command should be run prior to running to running the upgrade command.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    2014-Feb
    Posts
    235
    That was because I'd not given the full fix - copy and pasting from the other thread on this issue here, as well as the bug that has been opened about it in our tracker.

    The error comes because of a change made in the 2018.3 release to use the Debian package for the firmware. Unfortunately, there was never an update during the process of adding it so I never ran into the issue before release.

    There is a workaround, to at least get rid of the error.

    You'll want to add the following to /etc/fstab:

    Code:
    tmpfs         /boot/firmware tmpfs rw 0 0
    At the bottom, and then simply run "mount /boot/firmware" (or reboot) and re-run the update.

    This allows the package to update, which is good, but does not copy the new files into place.

    Debian uses a different mounting layout than we do, and their check is for /boot/firmware to be mounted, instead of just /boot.

    Once the update succeeds, you will want to
    Code:
    cp /usr/lib/raspi3-firmware/* /boot/
    to use the new firmware.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    2018-Sep
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by steev View Post
    That was because I'd not given the full fix - copy and pasting from the other thread on this issue here, as well as the bug that has been opened about it in our tracker.

    The error comes because of a change made in the 2018.3 release to use the Debian package for the firmware. Unfortunately, there was never an update during the process of adding it so I never ran into the issue before release.

    There is a workaround, to at least get rid of the error.

    You'll want to add the following to /etc/fstab:

    Code:
    tmpfs         /boot/firmware tmpfs rw 0 0
    At the bottom, and then simply run "mount /boot/firmware" (or reboot) and re-run the update.

    This allows the package to update, which is good, but does not copy the new files into place.

    Debian uses a different mounting layout than we do, and their check is for /boot/firmware to be mounted, instead of just /boot.

    Once the update succeeds, you will want to
    Code:
    cp /usr/lib/raspi3-firmware/* /boot/
    to use the new firmware.
    Thank you! Worked perfectly.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    2018-May
    Posts
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by steev View Post
    That was because I'd not given the full fix - copy and pasting from the other thread on this issue here, as well as the bug that has been opened about it in our tracker.

    The error comes because of a change made in the 2018.3 release to use the Debian package for the firmware. Unfortunately, there was never an update during the process of adding it so I never ran into the issue before release.

    There is a workaround, to at least get rid of the error.

    You'll want to add the following to /etc/fstab:

    Code:
    tmpfs         /boot/firmware tmpfs rw 0 0
    At the bottom, and then simply run "mount /boot/firmware" (or reboot) and re-run the update.

    This allows the package to update, which is good, but does not copy the new files into place.

    Debian uses a different mounting layout than we do, and their check is for /boot/firmware to be mounted, instead of just /boot.

    Once the update succeeds, you will want to
    Code:
    cp /usr/lib/raspi3-firmware/* /boot/
    to use the new firmware.


    I works for me!!!
    After reboot I got no more this error

    I copy the firmware first and edit the file fstab then I reboot,
    after booting I run apt upgrade And no more Errors

    Thanks a lot!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    2018-Nov
    Posts
    5
    This worked for me as well but on 16GB SD Card. It doesnt work on 128GB SD Card for some reason. I can even upgrade from ARM version to full kali linux usiing the "apt-get install kali-linux-full" command but after upgradation finishes and when i run "apt-get upgrade" or "apt-get dist-upgrade", the screen goes blank after downloading and updating certain files.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    2014-Feb
    Posts
    235
    Can you expand on what you mean by the screen goes blank? That often happens due to the settings of XFCE to blank the screen/lock it - however I've noticed that occasionally it will crash and so you have to login and re-run the commands.

    The instructions should work regardless of size, are you sure you didn't typo the line in the fstab? That's typically where I fat finger things since I'm trying to get it done quickly - that said, with the 2018.4 release, it shouldn't be necessary to add that line in anymore, because I already put it in there. Can you try the 2018.4 release?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    2019-Jan
    Posts
    1
    I have kali linux installed on Raspberry pi 3B+ but i only had doubts regarding as to how to update kali linux on it in the future.Would appreciate the help.Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Kali Update && Upgrade && dist-upgrade Error
    By Dickz in forum TroubleShooting Archive
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2017-09-12, 07:11
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2016-10-15, 11:57

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •