Thread: Problem after updating Kali

Problem after updating Kali

Right after i updated Kali i turned off my laptop. Next day when i boot to Kali i notice that all my files on desktop are not there anymore, i can't highlight on desktop(when you hold you right mouse button and drag it to mark multiple files or programs), when i press the left click i can't see the "open terminal" option and in place of that is a little blurry line. But when i go to desktop folder using "Files" my folder is listed there but not visible on desktop.
    I really have no idea what the problem might be. I tired to find a solution but nothing helps nor describes my exact problem. Some help would be really appreciated.

Are you using live or did you install?

I've had precisely the same problem and was able to recreate it. I'm in the middle of a vulnerability assessment engagement and Kali updated last night. This morning when I powered up, the files on the desktop were gone. Well, not really -- they were still in the "Desktop" directory and I could get to them through the file manager or through the command line and execute what I needed. It's now not possible, however, to save anything to the desktop. Other functions seem OK. I was able to recreate it by downloading a backup of my installation from yesterday afternoon, and then running the updates manually. Same problem recreated.

I've the SAME issue. Thanks for your time.

After update? Just spitballing but try this https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...hile-upgrading
    Please post result.
    easy to start; hard to finish

I have the same issue after upgrade last night, Desktop icons are missing but the files are still in the relevant folders. I done a fresh install in virtualbox and vmplayer using the pre built virtual files, both displayed the same issue. In the vmplayer I tried fresh install using the latest iso and still got the same results. I have tried to fix the issue but nothing worked so far.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbiz View Post
    After update? Just spitballing but try this https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...hile-upgrading
    Please post result.
    Nada - not helpful. Thanks, though.

Kali is installed.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbiz View Post
    Please post result.
    I tried your option tough i knew it would not work. This might be a problem with the update itself. Something is messing with the system

The issue on my pc seems to be with nautilus upgrade too 3.30.0-1. Since I'm doing a fresh install I put this upgrade on hold

root:~# dpkg --get-selections | grep "hold"
    libnautilus-extension1a:amd64 hold
    nautilus hold
    nautilus-data hold

OK, did some research on this. I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that there's nothing wrong with our Kali installations. The bad news is that Gnome killed the ability to have desktop icons and shortcuts. Whatever update hit Kali yesterday came with this baggage.

It can be fixed manually. Here's the Bug Tracker report. -> https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=4983

That is hardly a fix. It brings back some of the icons, but it's a mess.

Can Gnome be reverted back to a previous version?

Quote Originally Posted by RChadwick View Post
    That is hardly a fix. It brings back some of the icons, but it's a mess.

Can Gnome be reverted back to a previous version?
    Are there any developers on site trying to fix this cause this is a complete **** mess

It's being worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by atdtphreaker View Post
    It's being worked on.
    Any clue on how long we have to wait

I'm actually thankful that i'm not the only one having this problem! I hope we don't have to wait that long cause it's gonna be a pain Oof.

Quote Originally Posted by xFadedxShadow View Post
    I'm actually thankful that i'm not the only one having this problem! I hope we don't have to wait that long cause it's gonna be a pain Oof.
    I'm also glad this is being worked on. While not a show stopper, it's extremely annoying. Like many others here, I have real work to do and a limited time to do it in -- I use desktop shortcuts as a handy launch point for some important and often-used scripts. My desktop came up empty and I nearly fainted.

bumping the post because I also have the same issue, any fixes? Thanks!!

Whoever is working on this.........thanks

This is a joke. Good thing I wasn't on an engagement for a pentest. I freaked when I saw this. Also, after some digging around, I also found this https://forum.antergos.com/topic/953...-desktop-icons. Unfortunately, this is issue also caused, what seemed to be, cascading failure as all my system would do after booting to a naked desktop was freeze. This finally made me have to do a fresh install. Once that was completed it was fine and dandy, until a did an apt update/upgrade. then the problem came back. I sure hope someone is working on this.

Hello guys I have the same issue, after last update no icons on desktop anymore , I have the desktop folder with all my other folders inside, but they are not showed on the desktop, but other strange thing I can't execute the Tor browser its icon is became a normal file and it open as text file not as an application , could you help or give me some feedback on this issues?

Thank you in advance

Renzo

Hello guys

I feel relieved I am not the only one. I have tried the update on two separate machines and the dist-upgrade and/or upgrade messes causes the issue to occur.

I am also happy to hear that this is being worked on as I rely heavily on Kali for work purposes. This has completely messed up my VM so I had to do a reinstall, I guess I will wait for the the fix before doing an upgrade.

I have this same issue too. I had to revert back to a snapshot. I lost some of my files in the process

I've been trying to switch to using Nemo rather than Nautilus in a test VM following this guide https://askubuntu.com/questions/4817...emo-in-gnome-3, but can't seem to get it to work. It all seems to go well, and running xdg-mime query default inode/directory indicates that nemo is set to handle the desktop, but still no icons. when i try to run nemo-desktop manually from the command line, I get "nemo-desktop cannot be run as root, please try again as a normal user"

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

The question is it nautilus or kali related problem? I've tried apt-get install kali-linux-full didn't help. But I don't see that people complaining about this issue on other distos.

Quote Originally Posted by n3tr4k View Post
    The question is it nautilus or kali related problem? I've tried apt-get install kali-linux-full didn't help. But I don't see that people complaining about this issue on other distos.
    It's nautilus. If you look at the prior posts, especially the bug tracker, nautilus removed the code for handling desktop icons as it was holding back development of other code. They intend to readd it as an extension, and there currently is an extension in the add-ons section that does bring back files on your desktop, but not the icons (trash, disks, etc.). The extension worked fine on a newer vm, but I couldn't get it to work on an older machine I had messed with a lot more, lol.

As for why this isn't affecting other distros, there could be a number of reasons. They could be holding back the update, or they could be using a different way of handling the desktop. Mint, for instance, uses Nemo, not Nautilus.

how much is the update for nautilis or nemo?

Quote Originally Posted by heffs View Post
    I have the same issue after upgrade last night, Desktop icons are missing but the files are still in the relevant folders. I done a fresh install in virtualbox and vmplayer using the pre built virtual files, both displayed the same issue. In the vmplayer I tried fresh install using the latest iso and still got the same results. I have tried to fix the issue but nothing worked so far.
    same situwation here but without the vb ,just straigth install, saw somewhere the powers to be deceided to take desktop icons out of the newest release, ( 3.30 ) why ig &^&*&^%$ name would they pull something like this, burns me up...........

Quote Originally Posted by geodude9537 View Post
    same situwation here but without the vb ,just straigth install, saw somewhere the powers to be deceided to take desktop icons out of the newest release, ( 3.30 ) why ig &^&*&^%$ name would they pull something like this, burns me up...........
    Who knows, maybe they don't bother with testing anymore. Kali overall quality has dropped some time ago if you ask me. I do have another issue for instance when all processes are just freeze instantly, and even Rising Elephants doesn't work, only reset, though it's rare enough for me to investigate. If it goes like this further I'll personally try parrot security OS or black arch next.