Thread: Kali loading all the kernal files gets stuck at a blank screen.

Kali loading all the kernal files gets stuck at a blank screen.

On doing sudo apt-get update , apt-get upgrade and apt dist-upgrade , on restarting the screen gets stuck with the cursor on top left and the mouse cursor and everything else blank. Alt+ctrl+f1 does switches to terminal (observable by the disapearing of the mouse cursor) but I m unable to type anything in it. I tried resinstalling my Nvidia drivers using recovery mode but no success . Any fix for this issue i have encounterd?

My specs:
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 1050

I have a dual booted system configuration with windows 10 on one partition and kali linux on the other.

This fixed the problem for me: (downgrading gnome-shell)

sudo apt install gir1.2-gnomedesktop-3.0=3.30.2.1-2

sudo apt-mark hold gir1.2-gnomedesktop-3.0

Not working. After doing the fix you recommended....the login screen shows up but after login it gets stuck at a blue screen.

Being dumped to the tty login/interface, gnome GUI is gone... Again

Quote Originally Posted by rachit2501 View Post
    Not working. After doing the fix you recommended....the login screen shows up but after login it gets stuck at a blue screen.
    Experienced the gnome update problem a few days ago, the downgrade fixed the problem, however after the updates on 2019-10-10, I am being dumped to the cli/tty1 login interface, the desktop manager GUI is gone.

Re-installed the gir1.2-gnomedesktop-3.0_3.30.2.1-2_amd64.deb from the command line again, rebooted and it continues to dump me to the cli/tty1 login.

Ran the apt-get update and the GUI login is available however after logging in I, too, get the solid blue screen, no icons, no interface interaction.

Suggestions?

[Fixed] Being dumped to the tty login/interface, gnome GUI is gone... Again

I was able to correct my gnome blue screen issue by purging gnome-session and re-installing gnome-session:

apt-get purge gnome-session
    apt-get install gnome-session
    reboot

However, the newest version of gnome desktop on my install no longer shows any of my icons or side-dock/favorites, only [Activities] in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. Selecting [Activities] with the mouse shows my side-dock/favorites and allows me to access everything normally.

YMMV

That worked like a charm. I also insalled the new patch which eventually fixed the problem . Thank you all for the support.