Thread: installed kali 2018.3 on virtualbox 5.1.38, but VirtualBox Guest Addition doesn't work

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

installed kali 2018.3 on virtualbox 5.1.38, but VirtualBox Guest Addition doesn't work

hi, I just installed kali 2018.3 on virtualbox 5.1.38 as well as its Guest Addition, no error message during installation. but the functions Guest Addition related such as shared folders and clipboard etc. all don't work even after reboot.
    I found an error warning during reboot which telling vboxadd-service failed, get details with 'systemct1 status vboxadd-service.service'. with which got following info:

loaded: loaded (/opt/VBoxGuestadditions-5.1.38/init/vboxadd-service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since wed 2018-xx-xx
    Process: 577 execStart=/opt/VBoxGuestadditions-5.1.38/init/vboxadd-service start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

systemd[1]: Starting vboxadd-service.service...
    vboxadd-service[577]: vboxadd-service.sh: Starting VirtualBox Guest Addition srvice
    vboxadd-service.sh[580]: Starting VirtualBox Guest Addition srvice
    vboxadd-service.sh[588]: VirtualBox Guest Addition srvice started
    systemd[1]: vboxadd-service.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
    systemd[1]: vboxadd-service.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'
    systemd[1]: Failed to start vboxadd-service.service.

I had already installed several os in the virtualbox before, including kali 2018.2, didn't encounter this problem before.
    could anyone tell how to fix it? thanks in advance.

You'll have to find the offending script and run manually the commands to see what the exact error is.

If you don't want to waste time on that, you can always download the prebuilt VM.

I have had similar issues in the past but the newest update Version 5.2.18 r124319 (Qt5.6.2) runs perfectly. I am actually updating my VM right now. Try updating and make sure you have VM enabled in Bios (I know some versions you had to disabled VM and use modded versions I had to do that on my old laptop and even my current till now). What are the specs of the system you are trying to install the VM on? VBoxKali2018.3.jpg

hi, Mister_X, Keiyentai, thanks for your advice, to ease the work, I will try pre-built VM to see it it works. thanks again for your info.