Thread: Stuck on step 2 on the "Kali Linux Live USB Persistence" Guide

Stuck on step 2 on the "Kali Linux Live USB Persistence" Guide

Hello!

I am trying to prepare a persistent bootable usb by running these commands below. The iso i used to make the bootable usb on win32 disk imager was named "kali-linux-2018.3a-amd64.iso" which i downloaded directly from the kali linux download page. (i downloaded the 64 bit version and checked the sha256). I am trying to find out if this file was renamed or something when i made the bootable usb. i cant seem to find it all when i try to search the files.

I am trying to run these commands but it is saying it cant find my file as shown below:

end=7gb
    read start _ < <(du -bcm kali-linux-2018.3a-amd64.iso | tail -1); echo $start
    parted /dev/sdb mkpart primary $start $end

I have a few questions about this actually. when do i actually press enter? is it after each line shown ? such as after 7gb, and after the 2nd lines $start?

Also, where do i check the actual name of this file? because maybe the name is something different even though it was the name of the file i used to mount onto my usb to make my kali linux bootable in the first place.

When i type the commands up top, this is what is shown back to me:

root@kali:~# end=7gb
    root@kali:~# read start _ < <(du -bcm kali-linux-2018.3a-amd64.iso | tail -1); echo $start
    du: cannot access 'kali-linux-2018.3a-amd64.iso': No such file or directory
    root@kali:~#

This is the post i was trying to follow step by step but it is not working so i am looking for someone who has tried to follow these same steps before.
    [https://docs.kali.org/downloading/ka...sb-persistence]

I am trying to find out where this file is actually located so i could get the proper name and understand exactly what im doing with these commands. Since it is telling me "no such file or directory" I am thinking the file i am supposed to be altering is labeled as something different somewhere in the filesystem. If someone could help me figure out what im doing wrong or where i could find the exact proper name of the file i should be alterning/modifying, it would be very appreciated!

*Also i am having problems with sound on the kali linux. when i checked the sound drivers and settings it should work, but i am hearing no sound from all devices. I have my headset plugged into the mic and audo jacks on the back of my pc straight to the motherboard.
    When i ran the command sudo lspci, this was the list it is showing for my devices:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Skylake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 07)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Skylake PCIe Controller (x16) (rev 07)
    00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Skylake Gaussian Mixture Model
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 31)
    00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H Thermal subsystem (rev 31)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H CSME HECI #1 (rev 31)
    00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H SATA controller [AHCI mode] (rev 31)
    00:1b.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PCI Root Port #17 (rev f1)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev f1)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev f1)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H LPC Controller (rev 31)
    00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PMC (rev 31)
    00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H HD Audio (rev 31)
    00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H SMBus (rev 31)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP104 [GeForce GTX 1080] (rev a1)
    01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP104 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
    02:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD Controller SM961/PM961
    03:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1142 USB 3.1 Host Controller
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 10)

Any help would be appreciated! I am totally stuck.

Very Respectfully,
    Thomas Knudsen

Hello,

Please disregard. I was able to figure everything out an alternate way by following a youtube video on how to use the win32 disk imager. I was also able to get my sound to work, but honestly i couldnt really figure out what thing i did that fixed it. I ran some commands such as pulseaudio -d, modified a daemon entry, and did some other things i cant really remember exactly, but it worked!