Thread: Installing Kali on Samsung Chromebook Series 3 on Internal Memory

Installing Kali on Samsung Chromebook Series 3 on Internal Memory

Installing Kali on Samsung Chromebook Series 3 on Internal Memory

I have not been able to find a way to install Kali Linux on a Chromebook without booting off of an SD & USB. Has anyone been able to pull that off? Share any info on making it happen? Cheers!

Hi,
    having my own problems getting Kali to install on a Chromebook series 3. Have followed some instructions (http://mihirsingh.com/kali-on-chromebook/) and can sucessfully boot into Kali from a USB. But I'm happy to overright the SSD and just install Kali full stop.

How can I do this?

Following the instructions at the link above, the boot process arrives at a prompt where a user can login as root. A user can then use the 'startx' command to go into the Desktop environment.

How can I install Kali instead? How could I bring up the graphical installer?

Cheers in advance for any ideas or help.

Noob
    Samsung Chromebook series 3
    Kali 1.0 for ARM Chromebook

The SSD has limited space. Though I admit I've ran into a similar problem while booting Kali from USB...my problem is that I can put some programs on the SSD, but there's not enough space to install anything additional I need. And though I can install and run programs from the USB, getting everything to mesh well with the USB boot is awkward. I've already crapped the system multiple times trying to find a work-around and had to redo the entire USB installation/setup of Kali.

I posted this on this thread since my problem is similar. I need a way to have greater control over the SSD while running Kali...whether that is installing Kali on the SSD or some other option, I don't care. Any help would be appreciated.

I did have the thought that I could get what I want by creating a more customized image of Kali, but that's beyond my current abilities (though I'd love to learn, with kids and work I don't have a lot of extra time).

Thank you for posting the link Noob. I've been struggling the last couple evenings trying to get my $140 ebay chromebook s3 going with Kali.

I think the only part Kali instructions left out was the:
    [ Then, we enable cross system booting:
    $ sudo crossystem dev_boot_usb=1 ]

I'll try it this evening, but I think it will work.

Thanks again.
    -Krum

This is how I got Kali on my internal emmc ssd, and works with the latest ChromeOS which they like to change things often. Such as not more /boot...
    and this is pulled from many guides for booting debian and kali on the chromebook arm series 3.

# Put the chromebook in dev mode and enable usb booting
    esc+refresh key + power button

crosssystem dev_boot_usb=1

# /boot is gone on the latest chromeos release so you'll have to dd the running kernel to get a copy and repack it,
    # find with cgpt show /dev/mmcblk0 and it will have the highest priority.
    dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/tmp/oldkern

# Write Kali image to drive
    dd if=/where/ever/it/is/kali.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512k

# Extended root so it uses the whole drive
    e2fsck -f /dev/mmcblk0p3
    resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p3

# Create file which has the new kernel arguements needed to boot off the internal storage.
    echo "console=tty1 debug verbose root=/dev/mmcblk0p3 rootwait rw lsm.module_locking=0" > /tmp/config

# repack/sign the kernel, devkeys are where ever you put them, mine where actually on a usb drive so i wouldnt have to restore chromeos everytime
    vbutil_kernel --repack /tmp/newkern --keyblock /usr/share/vboot/devkeys/kernel.keyblock --version 1 --signprivate /usr/share/vboot/devkeys/kernel_data_key.vbprivk --config=/tmp/config --oldblob /tmp/oldkern

# then write the new repacked kernel
    dd if=/tmp/newkern of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=512k

## Set the newkern the highest boot priority
    cgpt add -i 1 -S 1 -P 5 -T 15 /dev/mmcblk0

# reboot
    ctrl+u and it should boot kali off the ssd
    Last edited by siouxscout; 2013-09-28 at 17:12.