Thread: I cant get my live kali linux bootable to be persistent. cant locate the iso file???

I cant get my live kali linux bootable to be persistent. cant locate the iso file???

Hello,

This is driving me nuts. I have seen two very nicely written guides on the oscp page about making the kali linux bootable usb persistent. At the very first step, its telling me that its unable to locate the file for my kali linux iso version with is the latest 2018.3a ( i downloaded from the kali linux download page without issues, and im able to boot it up and it is functioning normally with the exception of no sound)

these are the two guides i am trying to follow:
    https://docs.kali.org/kali-dojo/03-k...nce-encryption

and

https://docs.kali.org/downloading/ka...sb-persistence

When i downloaded and made the bootable usb, i used the file: "kali-linux-2018.3a-amd64.iso" to make my usb into a live bootable by using the win32 disk imager program. I was able to create the usb, and it boots up fine. But when i start trying to run commands on the first steps of making the bootable persistent. it is telling me the file is not found! i even tried running the command "locate kali-linux-2018" and it is not found anywhere!!!

here is an example of what im seeing:
    root@kali:~# dd if=kali-linux-2016.2-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M
    dd: failed to open 'kali-linux-2016.2-amd64.iso': No such file or directory
    root@kali:~# dd if=kali-linux-2018.3a-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M
    dd: failed to open 'kali-linux-2018.3a-amd64.iso': No such file or directory

root@kali:~# locate kali-linux-2018.3a
    root@kali:~# locate kali-linux
    /usr/share/doc/kali-linux
    /usr/share/doc/kali-linux-full
    /usr/share/doc/kali-linux/changelog.gz
    /usr/share/doc/kali-linux/copyright
    /usr/share/doc/kali-linux-full/changelog.gz
    /usr/share/doc/kali-linux-full/copyright
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/kali-linux-full.list
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/kali-linux-full.md5sums
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/kali-linux.list
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/kali-linux.md5sums

Hello!

Please disregard. I found my way around all of this by watching a youtube video about doing it a different way by using the win32 disk imager program in windows before i actually booted up the kali linux os and then running different commands once i loaded up the kali linux. I also was able to solve my problem of no sound by following a few different videos. At first it still wasnt working but somehow it magically worked after i unplugged the jack and plugged it back in after doing alot of different steps such as pulseaudio -d .