Thread: Kali bootable usb pros and cons

Kali bootable usb pros and cons

I was curious why anyone might want a bootable usb of Kali I?ve done it myself and also compared it to Kali installed on a pc I prefer it on a pc however if you don?t have a pc you?re willing to fully install Kali on for pen testing what are the pros and cons versus a bootable usb are you able to use it on the usb the same as on a pc and it just needs tweaked right or are there limitations in using a bootable usb version that might prevent you from excelling Or accomplishing goals can you simply stick to a bootable usb Kali Linux only. I?m very curious because at the moment a bootable usb is my only option and Ij?ve also heard there?s a way to do a full install on a usb of Kali as you would a pc I honestly don?t know if that?s true or not or even how that would work I would like to keep progressing and keep learning pen testing but before I can move forward with I need to know what my best option is I?m still very very new to this I appreciate any good answers or advice anyone might have

Quote Originally Posted by BudowIt View Post
    I was curious why anyone might want a bootable usb of Kali I?ve done it myself and also compared it to Kali installed on a pc I prefer it on a pc however if you don?t have a pc you?re willing to fully install Kali on for pen testing what are the pros and cons versus a bootable usb are you able to use it on the usb the same as on a pc and it just needs tweaked right or are there limitations in using a bootable usb version that might prevent you from excelling Or accomplishing goals can you simply stick to a bootable usb Kali Linux only. I?m very curious because at the moment a bootable usb is my only option and Ij?ve also heard there?s a way to do a full install on a usb of Kali as you would a pc I honestly don?t know if that?s true or not or even how that would work I would like to keep progressing and keep learning pen testing but before I can move forward with I need to know what my best option is I?m still very very new to this I appreciate any good answers or advice anyone might have
    You could look into persistence on a usb. Installes on a pc tend to be lttle faster than usb. Thats about it.
    easy to start; hard to finish

Thank you I was curious because I was told you can?t update or upgrade kali when your using it as a live bootable usb even with persistence i just don?t wanna do it if I?m gonna be limited with it

That's correct, you can't update a live USB unless you have persistence and even then, you won't be able to update the kernel.

If you want to stay up to date, there are ISO built on a weekly basis you can use to keep your live up to date.

I find a Kali on a USB (encrypted persistence) useful now and then. Usages vary, but most recently, I pressed a seldom-used PC into Kali service for a wireless test.