Thread: large graphical lag in system UI animations

large graphical lag in system UI animations

Hey everybody, I'm experiencing some serious lag in many of the ui animations throughout kali across multiple reinstalls. System is not a VM. I'm running an i7 @ 4.6GHz/32GB DDR3 RAM/2 nvidia 980 TI/ 1TB samsung ssd. The lag is especially noticeable in the application menu(the fullscreen one from the dock). As an example, opening an application folder from within the menu, I get maybe 2 frames of the open and close animations spread across 2 seconds each. I've been experiencing this since the first install a few months ago and it has continued through today. The system is fully updated. I also tried updating my nvidia drivers as well following the documentation with no improvement. Anyone have an idea about how to troubleshoot this?

I get the same thing on my Laptop, I don't think it has to do with tech specs since you're getting the same results on a much more powerful system. I've even had it on VM's and fresh hardware installs. I've monitored what's using resources with htop, and gnome-shell spikes when scrolling through the application menu and sub folders with in it. It could just be something with gnome, since I don't have issues using XFCE or Plasma, but I do prefer gnome to the other two.