Thread: Installing NVIDIA drivers on 2018.3a

Question Installing NVIDIA drivers on 2018.3a

Hey everybody!

I just set up a dual boot drive on my desktop with a Kali 2018.3a installation. Everything went (mostly) smoothly, until I got into the system itself and discovered that I had no GPU drivers. After hours of scouring the internet and trying as many (safe looking) things that I could find, I still find myself without drivers (and, as an unfortunate aside, limited to just one monitor). I have a NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti GPU installed, running an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU. I'm hoping that it's not a problem with my CPU or anything obscure like that.

Whenever I attempt to run the official Nvidia installer, the error log file produces the following:
    Code:
    Using: nvidia-installer ncurses v6 interface
    ->  Detected 16 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 16.
    ERROR: An NVIDIA kernel module 'nvidia-drm' appears to already be loaded in your
     kernel. This may be because it is in use (for example, by an X server, a CUDA
     program, or the NVIDIA Persistence Daemon), but this may also happen if your ker
    nel was configured without support for module unloading. Please be sure to exit
     any programs that may be using the GPU(s) before attempting to upgrade your dri
    ver. If no GPU-based programs are running, you know that your kernel supports m
    odule unloading, and you still receive this message, then an error may have occu
    rred that has corrupted an NVIDIA kernel module's usage count, for which the simp
    lest remedy is to reboot your computer.
    I have rebooted, several times. I have tried the instructions that are provided on the kali.org page for installing NVIDIA drivers (to no avail), I have updated everything that I can think to update.

If we can get this figured out, I promise - I will write up a How-To so that others don't have to go through all I've gone through.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance that anybody and everybody provides!

Alright...as promised, if I figured it out, I'd provide some sort of how-to.

Well...I don't really know how I figured it out, so I'll provide the last couple of steps I did, and hope that those were what did it in the end for me....

What I ended up having to do was do a reboot, boot up into recovery mode, do an apt remove nvidia* - then I ran the .run installer I got from the NVIDIA website. That was it...that was what ended up working for me in the end.