Thread: Kali USB Live - Bypass 8 Gb limit

Kali USB Live - Bypass 8 Gb limit

Hi everybody,

I want to start learning the pentesting and for that I'd like to run Kali on USB Live, but there is a but.
    When the USB Live Boot is created, and that through different softwares, it is always the same : Seems like the memory space is limited to 8 Gb. My key is a 64 Gb and I'd like to unlock that in order to have the full USB space for Kali (updates (which are more than 6Gb actually) and to save documents such as word dictionnaries, etc.)

How can I do to Live Boot Kali on the USB with the full space on the key, and to make it saved on it every time I use it?
    I heard about persistence but did not work out well, maybe I did it wrong somehow.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Chris

<scratches head>One work around would be to install Kali to the 64GB stick. The snag is that you would need another stick or DVD to install from.

Isn't the whole idea of a USB live stick - the contents don't change between reboots?. As opposed to installing Kali to a drive., be it a hard drive partition or a bootable USB stick?

Take this with a pinch of salt. I'm still very much a beginner with Kali. But I soon got bored of a Live Stick and started running from an install.

Well I wanted to install it in order to configure it well and use it everyday with my online formation but could not install it on my sda on dual boot, it was a mess few weeks ago and prefer not to screw everything up with my actual OS.
    So I'd like to basically use the whole OS Kali on a USB with 64Gb to run and use it from there, as if it was on my hard drive, and don't mess around with my computer anymore.

But your Idea of installing it on the USB stick from an other USB Live boot isn't a bad, should dig into that maybe, thanks !

You might find the last comment on this thread helpful.

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...nning-From-USB

Got it... I think the issue is setting end to something bigger than 7gb. As per the instructions (root privalege to the USB necessary);-

https://docs.kali.org/downloading/ka...sb-persistence

So presumably if you start the procedure with a bigger value for the partition in size of gigabytes;-

end=59gb

You might get a result. parted command should give you the best fit it can.