Thread: No option to select graphical installer

No option to select graphical installer

I've installed Kali before on previous systems and on virtual machines usually successfully, until recently.

I've got an old HP 15 laptop I want to install Kali as the main OS, when it was initially bought it had windows pre-installed and a partition for 'recovery'.
    Initially, it took a bit of fiddling around to get it to stop booting into windows, even after what I thought was installing mint as the OS.

The laptop has an AMD A4-5000 APU CPU, whatever that means. 1TB of storage and 4GB of RAM, so I believe it should be sufficient?
    I'm not a hardware whizz though so I'm possibly wrong.

For the actual install, I use my trusty USB stick that I update regularly, with the latest version from the site available.
    When I use it in the laptop through the initial page does not have the 'graphical install' option. I can find it through the advanced options selection.

When I try this it states an error at reading from the CD ROM, which I don't understand as the USB has worked on other systems.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm not sure what else to try.

Cheers!

Hardware should work.

It's weird there is no graphical install but in any case, that shouldn't matter, the text installer will go through the same steps.

Just get the stable image, then install and update. Verify the checksum is valid before transferring to the USB. There is also a possibility that the USB drive is defective.

Yesterday I installed the last version of Kali in Graphical mode. Just enter to advanced to find the option.

Have a nice day.

** Espinatel **

Quote Originally Posted by n0obie88 View Post
    I've installed Kali before on previous systems and on virtual machines usually successfully, until recently.

I've got an old HP 15 laptop I want to install Kali as the main OS, when it was initially bought it had windows pre-installed and a partition for 'recovery'.
    Initially, it took a bit of fiddling around to get it to stop booting into windows, even after what I thought was installing mint as the OS.

The laptop has an AMD A4-5000 APU CPU, whatever that means. 1TB of storage and 4GB of RAM, so I believe it should be sufficient?
    I'm not a hardware whizz though so I'm possibly wrong.

For the actual install, I use my trusty USB stick that I update regularly, with the latest version from the site available.
    When I use it in the laptop through the initial page does not have the 'graphical install' option. I can find it through the advanced options selection.

When I try this it states an error at reading from the CD ROM, which I don't understand as the USB has worked on other systems.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm not sure what else to try.

Cheers!
    Apparently the ONLY way to boot a UEFI USB stick on an HP15 is to hit F9 at boot for a boot menu, then select " boot UEFI USB" option. For the older booting system for USB, you have to select "Legacy Mode" (which isn't how Kali starts up but it might help somebody else with an older DOS based OS).

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/How-to-boot-from-USB-with-the-new-uefi-bios/td-p/2552097

Last edited by maiki; 2019-01-03 at 08:54. Reason: Delete YouTube video