Thread: Gparted can't detect other partitions

Question Gparted can't detect other partitions

Hi guys,

I want to install Kali Linux next to a Windows 10 on a DELL xps 13 (dual boot).
    So I made a live usb, then I am following this tutorial : https://docs.kali.org/installation/d...i-with-windows

So I can boot on my live usb and start live kali, until now, everything works fine.
    This is the output of gparted :

20181118_231329.jpg

So I can only see the partition of my usb key.

Previously, I resized my Windows C: partition, giving about 17 Go for Kali Linux.

Capture.jpg

and I started the normal installation but when it needs to identify partitions, windows one wasn't here.

Before that, I was thinking that it was BitLocker encryption that was preventing kali linux to recognize my partitions and I disabled it and it's still the same.

Thanks in advance

You have to select the correct device using the tab top right (currently set to your USB device which is mounted as dev/SDA in the picture) on Gparted. It can only handle one device at a time (but will show all partitions on that device). It is defaulting to the device that Linux booted from, the USB stick.

The program called "Disks", an app, is a bit less fiddly, in that you can see all the devices available without clicking through a list of them. Although again it will only select one device at a time and limits adjustment of partitions to the selected device.

EDIT: Changed "drive" to "device" for clarity. Click the device selector top right. you should see your main windows hard drive available as well as the USB stick.
    Last edited by NoobLinuxuser; 2018-11-19 at 14:20. Reason: Clarified language to avoid confusion between disks and devices

Quote Originally Posted by NoobLinuxuser View Post
    You have to select the correct device using the tab top right (currently set to your USB device which is mounted as dev/SDA in the picture) on Gparted. It can only handle one device at a time (but will show all partitions on that device). It is defaulting to the device that Linux booted from, the USB stick.

The program called "Disks", an app, is a bit less fiddly, in that you can see all the devices available without clicking through a list of them. Although again it will only select one device at a time and limits adjustment of partitions to the selected device.

EDIT: Changed "drive" to "device" for clarity. Click the device selector top right. you should see your main windows hard drive available as well as the USB stick.
    Thanks for your answer.
    I checked and there was only one device (my usb key).

Well I found the answer to my problem :

I found that on dell xps 13 I had to change the ssd hard disk from AHCI to RAID (which I don't understand) but it worked.
    Then I resized my partition on Kali live with Gparted so I could shrink it to have 20Gb for kali.
    The installation process succeeded.

Have a great day