Thread: Will windows PIA cover Kali in Virtualbox

Mikey Guest

Will windows PIA cover Kali in Virtualbox

I'm on windows 7 and running Kali in virtualbox which is fine. What I would like to know is, if i have started Private Internet Access on my windows host machine does it also hide Kali in Virtualbox in the same way. Does it give Kali any protection at all.

Thanks a lot.

My apologies if this is in the wrong section as I wasn't sure where it should go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I'm on windows 7 and running Kali in virtualbox which is fine. What I would like to know is, if i have started Private Internet Access on my windows host machine does it also hide Kali in Virtualbox in the same way. Does it give Kali any protection at all.

Thanks a lot.

My apologies if this is in the wrong section as I wasn't sure where it should go.
    Dont see why not its running inside your windows machine. Virtualbox just creates an adapter within wondows then filters through, so ya.
    easy to start; hard to finish

Mikey,

It depends on the VM's network settings. If you have your VM is set to bridge network then the VM is not protected. If it is set to NAT, you should be fine. I always like to double check, there are various ways to do this. One simple way would be opening a browser (inside the Kali VM) and visiting https://ipleak.net/

There you will get all the stats on what traffic looks like from an outside -> in perspective.

A safer option would be to configure Kali to use PIA. Even safer if you ditch Windows host for Linux then run Windows as a VM.

Mikey Guest

Well of course it cloaks it

Quote Originally Posted by bigbiz View Post
    Don't see why not its running inside your windows machine. Virtualbox just creates an adapter within windows then filters through, so ya.

Please excuse the title, but I'm a bit embarrassed about asking the question in the first place. I know it works because I took a reading of both the host computer and the Virtualbox IP addresses and then did the same thing after activating the Private Internet Access. Naturally they were different. As you say the Virtualbox mirrors the host machine. Why couldn't I see that.

I blame it on being 72 and rushing around all the time.

Sorry to have wasted your time.

Mikey Guest

Strange you should say that

Quote Originally Posted by apices View Post
    Mikey,

It depends on the VM's network settings. If you have your VM is set to bridge network then the VM is not protected. If it is set to NAT, you should be fine. I always like to double check, there are various ways to do this. One simple way would be opening a browser (inside the Kali VM) and visiting https://ipleak.net/

There you will get all the stats on what traffic looks like from an outside -> in perspective.

A safer option would be to configure Kali to use PIA. Even safer if you ditch Windows host for Linux then run Windows as a VM.

I do have a Linux Laptop running Mint with Kali sitting inside Virtualbox along with Windows 7 (32 & 64bit) as well.

Once it became clear how to set up Virtualbox I started going overboard and adding all kinds of operating systems to it.

The reason I have Kali is we've got some DICKHEAD on our estate that keeps piggy-backing on other peoples broadband. There's loads of talk about it here. I suspect its some smelly fat slob that's never done a days work in his life just sitting in his bedroom all alone surfing the Internet for free.

The only thing is he's rather good at it and keeps well hidden. (One for the Equalizers list)

Anyway, I appreciate the link for the IP trace as its better than the one I was using.

Just out of interest can you put PIA inside Kali as I was going to run Kali on a Raspberry Pi 3. Just a thought.

Thanks a lot