Thread: Major Problems with Graphics After upgrade....

Question Major Problems with Graphics After upgrade....

So i did the usual apt-get update etc and full-upgrade, and now the version of Kali is - Linux kali 4.18.0-kali3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.18.20-2kali2 (2018-11-30) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Intel Drivers have never been a problem for me, and after going round the inter-webz i still cant find a solution. So to start:

Have to edit grub boot line into ' nomodeset ' just in order to actually start and get into normal environment. But still resolution is messed up and cant change or run VGA 2nd Monitor all was fine last night before i did the update etc.......... Really Stumped ??

This reads as the Latest and doesnt need upgrading....:
    apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel

lspci | grep -i --color 'vga\|3d\|2d' gives :
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

ive looked thru multiple solutions and nothing seems to work

All input will be appreciated Thanks

AFAIK, nomodeset will not give you much more than the basic resolutions.

Why did you add that parameter in the grub boot line?

so basically when i dist-upgrade....... we went to Kali 3 then i black screened x3 times and could not get to a log in screen. Set the paramater 1st to usual graphics to see if i could get to log in screen with no success this was the only parameter where i could actually get graphical. Merely to find soultion. Still Same Problem tbh as i am back using the previous dist version with absoultly no problems on the same device. Thanks for the reply

Same thing happened to me. The latest weekly live iso wouldn?t work on my system as well (black screen, no login).
    I have postponed upgrading for now as well.

I might be having the same issue, still troubleshooting.

I had Kali (latest point release) going on a laptop with Intel integrated gfx, and was running fine a few days ago. I did an apt full-upgrade and let it rip today. Now after booting - I get a greyish screen (I *think* X is running ?) - but nothing else. Control-alt-FN doesn't seem to get me a console tty either. I'm going to hard powerdown and see if I can boot in some kind of rescue mode.

Edit (update): I edited the vmlinuz line in grub to add 'nomodeset' and it made a difference. I got garbled graphics when X was trying to start - but at least I could control-alt-fN to a console tty. I hope there are some fixes pushed soon so I can at least apt upgrade from console.
    Last edited by vom; 2018-12-20 at 20:29. Reason: Update

You must have done something wrong somewhere.
    apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
    when prompted during upgrade installl package maintainers pckages unless you made any mods yourself.
    apt autoremove .
    I did this now im running kali 2019.1
    Everything peachy keen.

Hmm, not sure what I could have done wrong already. This was updated as soon as it was installed - no fiddling around. 2018.4 iso (64 bit full) install. apt update/upgrade/autoremove as you said - and now garbled/grey/black screens upon X starting. I'm also at 2019.1 now - just broken graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by vom View Post
    Hmm, not sure what I could have done wrong already. This was updated as soon as it was installed - no fiddling around. 2018.4 iso (64 bit full) install. apt update/upgrade/autoremove as you said - and now garbled/grey/black screens upon X starting. I'm also at 2019.1 now - just broken graphics.
    2018.4 booting fine though? Just download the 2019.1 iso make it bootable then try install it.

Looks like there is a bug already filed that matches this issue (bug # 5149):

https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=5149

I checked my system and indeed have kernel oops for i915 in my logs as well.
    Last edited by vom; 2018-12-23 at 21:46. Reason: Grammar

i just wanted to join this bug, because i did not find any solution by now. Playing around a bit it seems to be a problem with xserver packages. apt-get upgrade on kali2 lead to the above described error on my system. Meanwhile i kept back all xserver-xorg-* package updates and it is working on 2:1.20.1-5

Same problem here.
    I'm using the old version 4.18.0-kali2-amd64 by now
    "After trawling the Internet it seems that this kernel bug was first reported in August 2018 and supposedly fixed in the 4.18.9 kernel release"
    I hope future release of kernel version solve the problem.
    Thank you.

Me too facing the same problem...i held back the xorg and va-driver-all.But still negative.Atlast i tried "nomodeset" and it worked, but with low resolution..it's kinda odd to work with it. I hope it is a temporary BUG.

Hello people.
    I have the same problem too. I have the latest Kali after a dist-upgrade. Does someone have a solution?

As someone else said in this thread - this likely seems a kernel issue (i915 module). I'm very much hoping to see a new kernel come down soon. I have my Kali machine booted with nomodeset and have a while loop running hourly looking for upgradeable packages.

Does anyone have a feel for roughly how often the kernel is updated on Kali ? I'd think it would be much less frequent than library and tool upgrades - but is this something that might not come until the next point release ?

Huh - maybe someone heard me ?

Just saw 4.19 kernel in updates this afternoon. Just upgraded and rebooted and I have X back now ! Hopefully other folks in this thread have the same experience...

Quote Originally Posted by vom View Post
    Huh - maybe someone heard me ?

Just saw 4.19 kernel in updates this afternoon. Just upgraded and rebooted and I have X back now ! Hopefully other folks in this thread have the same experience...

Alleluja xD Cheers for the Post