Thread: alfa AWUS036H Hard blocked on hp8460p notebook

Angry alfa AWUS036H Hard blocked on hp8460p notebook

This problem is absolutely infuriating.

Laptop HP Elitebook 8460p

i have a built in wireless card, Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205, it works absolutely fine but as soon as I plug in my alfa into the USB port everything goes south pretty quick.
    Airplane mode will activate, the Alfa card will work for a while using airodump then :::read failed: Network is down ::ioctl(SIOCGIFINDEX) failed: No such device

Shell hangs, unplugging and plugging back in I will get airodump for a minute again then ::ioctl(SIOCSIFFLAGS) failed: Operation not possible due to RF-kill

rfkill list produces

phy8: Wireless LAN
    soft blocked: no
    Hard Blocked: yes

rfkill unblock all
    rfkill unblock wifi

Still says it is hard blocked

I thought maybe it was the wifi switch interfering, I was going to cover pin 21 of my internal wireless card to override this then I thought it would be easier to just remove the internal wireless card to check if it was the internal card .. Same problem with the internal card removed.

Hard Blocked
    I have flicked the hard switch in every combination with the wireless button and always end up with the same issue, the alfa will work for a short time then crash out.

I will be throwing this laptop through the window very shortly.

Somebody has mentioned being able to bypass this is with a USB powered hub but this close to xmas i cant see myself getting one and I am convinced there must be another solution.

If anyone can help me with this I would be eternally grateful, also please bear in mind I am a noob, so please bear with me, putting everything into simple terms
    Thanks so much in advance, you all do a fantastic job contributing here as I can see and these forums would obviously be nothing without your support!!

All the best, Jess

When you list rfkill, show EVERYTHING, not just part of it. Another thing, check dmesg after the issue happen to see if there is anything useful in it (as a tip, clear it before starting airodump-ng, dmesg -c)