Thread: Dual wifi adapters on Raspberry Pi 2

Dual wifi adapters on Raspberry Pi 2

I am a security professional and I have been assigned a project that essentially is going to be doing a deauth, rouge AP, and seeing if I can get one of our products (iPad with a few of our own apps) to connect to the rogue AP, and start the MITM part. With all of that said, I have 2 wifi adapters (Alpha AWUS036H and Panda Wireless PAU06 - eventually I may go to using 2 of the pandas for a lower profile) Both of them work great on their own, and both support packet injection. What I am needing to do is to have them both work on the pi at the same time. My current plan is to have one connected to wifi and the other will be working specifically with the rogue AP side for the iPad to connect to.

How can I get both wifi adapters to work on the pi at the same time? My current findings from the Googles has been something as simple as (this is coming off of memory after more than an hour searching) editing a file in /interfaces to something far more complex. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by crazy8; 2019-01-14 at 17:34.

Nothing different than a regular computer apart that you should use a powered USB hub.

UPDATE: I have been somewhat successful. When I run ifconfig/iwconfig I do see a wlan0 and wlan1 (I should note that I have been doing everything below in SSH). There's been a couple times that both have connected and other times where only one has connected. I have tried having both adapters connect to my home network and one of the adapters connect to the home network and the other be tethered to my phone. The issue I am having is that no matter which configuration I do, as soon as I put one into monitor mode, I lose connection from SSH.

A. Whether both adapters connect to the home network or one connects to home and one tethered to my phone, no matter which one I put into monitor mode, I shouldn't get kicked from SSH and even if I do, the other adapter should still retain an internet connection right?

- Come to think of it, each adapter gets an IP Address. So, assuming both adapters are connected to my home network, lets say wlan0 is 192.168.1.8 and wlan1 is 192.168.1.15. If I SSH to the Pi via wlan0 (192.168.1.8) and I end up putting that one into monitor mode (whether intentional or not) and I get kicked from my SSH session, I should be able to SSH back into it via wlan1 (192.168.1.15) right? I haven't tried this as it just came to mind now. (I am using a PAU06 and one of the Alpha's)

B. As far as drivers go, I haven't installed any since it seems like they're working, but if I see a "mon0" and a "mon1" and both have connected at least a couple times, than I shouldn't need one right?

C. Lastly, all network setup/configurations are typically done solely via /etc/network/interfaces and (in my case) /etc/wpa_supplicant correct?

iwconfig is deprecated, use "iw".

A wireless card can only be in one mode (monitor, client or AP) and one channel at a time. If you're killing network managers, which is recommended, you can try using wpa_supplicant (and dhclient) manually to connect to the AP.

monX interface names haven't been around in ages, so, that tells me your system is way out of date (or not using Kali). They should be wlanXmon instead.