Thread: What do you think about Kali Linux on Windows Subsystem for Linux?

What do you think about Kali Linux on Windows Subsystem for Linux?

Hi, Kali Linux community!
    I'm new using Kali Linux, I have been using Arch Linux with BlackArch for a while. Now I have a new laptop with better hardware for hacking and virtualization. However, this laptop has Windows 10 Pro by default and I need W10 for work and university. So, uninstalling W10 and installing Kali only it's not an option.
    Yes, I know about Dual Boot, but I find this really painful, every time Windows Upgrades, Kali Linux stop booting and sometimes some partitions get removed. I always prefer to have a full installation, but this time I need Windows installed and I have no problem with Windows even though I'm a Linux guy. I know I could use VM but I heard about Kali Linux using WSL and I want to hear your opinions about it.
    I want to know your opinions about WSL
    Do you find it too limited?
    What about networking?
    Do you think you perfectly (or decently) work using Kali Linux for WSL + Windows apps (Win32)?

I know a VM would be a lot easier to work with, but in that case, I prefer to install Arch Linux (+ BlackArch) and use Windows on VM.

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by alexertech; 2018-12-27 at 03:27.

Quote Originally Posted by MrEncrypted View Post
    Hi, Kali Linux community!
    I'm new using Kali Linux, I have been using Arch Linux with BlackArch for a while. Now I have a new laptop with better hardware for hacking and virtualization. However, this laptop has Windows 10 Pro by default and I need W10 for work and university. So, uninstalling W10 and installing Kali only it's not an option.
    Yes, I know about Dual Boot, but I find this really painful, every time Windows Upgrades, Kali Linux stop booting and sometimes some partitions get removed. I always prefer to have a full installation, but this time I need Windows installed and I have no problem with Windows even though I'm a Linux guy. I know I could use VM but I heard about Kali Linux using WSL and I want to hear your opinions about it.
    I want to know your opinions about WSL
    Do you find it too limited?
    What about networking?
    Do you think you perfectly (or decently) work using Kali Linux for WSL + Windows apps (Win32)?

I know a VM would be a lot easier to work with, but in that case, I prefer to install Arch Linux (+ BlackArch) and use Windows on VM.

Thanks for any help!
    A lot of the tools won't work properly because WSL still doesn't have raw sockets (iirc) - that said, I do like it overall, in that, I can run various utilities and even compile software just fine on it. It's useful, but if they ever implement raw sockets, it would be better.

You definitely would be better off using a VM.

Definitely would be better off using a VM

Anything wireless or using extra hardware will not work with WSL. VM is great because you can snapshot, and go back to a snapshot if something fails.

However, SDR will *work* with a VM, but you may have performance issues. Bluetooth is another thing that apparently doesn't work in VM, and in that case, live/persistence may be the way to go.

Basically, it all depends on your use case.

I have found that Installing on a secondary HDD or external HDD works and have not had any of the problems you mentioned. I am using a Dell Latitude 3750 with Windows 10 Home factory installed. I installed a secondary hard on it and dual boot Kali linux and my windows 10 with no problems. I must Also mention that i Get the Prerelease versions of windows 10 so it updates up to twice a week and no less than weekly.

I hope this helps.