Thread: Graphical Session

Graphical Session

I have mentioned in another post that I work for a very large medical device company and I am working on a project where I need the Pi to be headless. I will eventually be transferring what I learn to a laptop as well. One of the things I discovered last night is while SSH'ed to the Pi and trying to run Fluxion, I got a message that said "The script should be executed inside an X (graphical) session." How do I get around this if I am wanting to do this headless? There was another prgram that did it as well, but I didn't make note of it. It may have been Airgeddon and/or WiFi Phisher.

Thanks so much for the help on this

Two ways: fix your script to work in a console or get a dummy HDMI adapter like this and run it inside X: https://www.amazon.com/Headless-Disp.../dp/B06XT1Z9TF

I haven't tested that particular model.

As an idea, you can do remote X windows or use vnc if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_X View Post
    Two ways: fix your script to work in a console or get a dummy HDMI adapter like this and run it inside X: https://www.amazon.com/Headless-Disp.../dp/B06XT1Z9TF

I haven't tested that particular model.

As an idea, you can do remote X windows or use vnc if needed.
    I've never heard of these dummy HDMI adapters. Thats pretty cool. I will definitely be looking into that as an option.
    If I were to try and fix the scripts to run in a console, what all does that entail? what issues could I possibly get from doing that (assuming I do everything right even)? are there any resources you know off hand that may give me some idea?

Chances are that I'll be doing the dummy HDMI so the rest of it is just curiosity.

a remote session may have to be involved no matter what I do.

With this project, the scenario being used is that a "hacker" walks into a hospital, clinic, even a veterinarian office which are using our (the company I work for) iPad based product, and somehow performs a MITM attack. What my approach is right now is to deauth the wifi router(s) and then use a evil twin to try and get those devices to connect to me (Rpi 2 or laptop) It doesn't matter so much if I am able to capture usable data that contains PHI or anything, but to perform this and confirm to my employer IF such data could be gathered and if not, report what attack(s) were performed and what types of preventative measures they should have in place to block such an attack. Bigger hospitals and such are likely to have IDS/IPS in place, so this type of attack may not be successful and not worth the extra effort unless the attacker was REALLY wanting something and it would likely have to be a group effort.

With all of that said, the "hacker", being played by me, could use a laptop with Kali/Parrot OS installed to work from there, but right now I want to see if it can be more concealed (with my Raspberry Pi 2), as if it were in a backpack or something. This weekend I am actually picking up an SSD for my laptop to only install Kali/Parrot OS on it anyway.

All of that to say that I would like to make this completely scripted so that all I have to do is turn it on. That may not be possible with the number of apps that will need to be used, but it would be nice if I could. Im guessing my laptop may need to be involved no matter what.

That's probably more reading than you were hoping for, but your last idea about remote x windows or VNC inspired me to share the project and kind of the angle I am taking in regards to all of that.

If you have any other ideas that have popped up now, I'd be very interested in hearing (reading really) them. Thank you very much

I don't know what those scripts are, so I don't know what it entails and what issues could arise, and nor do I know what tools could help you figuring out.

Look in tools.kali.org, there might be stuff that can work for you. Other than that, you'll have to fix stuff and or develop tools yourself (or hire someone to do that).

No problem. Thanks again.