Thread: Full Kali install on flash and boot on macbook

Full Kali install on flash and boot on macbook

Hi all, cannot boot from EFI flash drive with full kali (not persistense)
    Trying on macbook 2013 with Mojave
    My steps:
    use rufus and write live iso on 16GB flash drive
    take PC - no sata/m2 drives with uefi MB.
    Put in live kali 16gb usb flash drive
    Put in empty 32gb usb flash driive
    Start install with force UEFI install mode.
    After that PC can load kali from 32gb flash drive!
    But when i try use that usb drive on mac, and try load from other source (hold alt when mac start) then dont see any sources - only mac drive. What i doing wrong?

Did you read kali live usb guide and hard disk install guides? Says there for windows youre supposed to use windiskimager32 to write the iso to thumb drive, not rufus. And you can use mac dd command to do the same on mac os. Format the usb stick exfat before writing. I used mac dd command to write the dmg to the live usb stick, after that it boots just fine on any system. For hard disk install (or to another usb) unplug all other drives if you have a desktop to avoid EFI partitions being installed to wrong drive. Use the live usb and install to the target usb in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfitz View Post
    Did you read kali live usb guide and hard disk install guides? Says there for windows youre supposed to use windiskimager32 to write the iso to thumb drive, not rufus. And you can use mac dd command to do the same on mac os. Format the usb stick exfat before writing. I used mac dd command to write the dmg to the live usb stick, after that it boots just fine on any system. For hard disk install (or to another usb) unplug all other drives if you have a desktop to avoid EFI partitions being installed to wrong drive. Use the live usb and install to the target usb in that case.
    i use rufus with DD.. anyway.... i try use windiskimager32 and use desktop with no HDDs and again fail. that usb stick can load on any desktop but my mac dont see option load from that usb stick (but easy can load from live kali usb stick created in rufus/wdi32...

UPDATE:
    solution https://medium.freecodecamp.org/kali...c-37585b7698e2
    Last edited by maiki; 2019-02-21 at 11:56. Reason: Merge posts