Thread: Black Screen during upgrade

Black Screen during upgrade

Dear Pleople,

I have a problem I don't know how to deal with and I cannot really find any information regarding this.
    Everytime I try to set up Kali on my Raspberry Pi 3+ it goes wrong somehow. I first run apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade. During the upgrade, after the files were downloaded, so during unpacking the screen goes dark. Only the mouse cursor is still visible, flashing on and of every two seconds or so. The memory activity LED, i guess i can call it, stays on permanently and the pi gets pretty hot. After about 30 minutes i gave up on it and pulled the plug. When i restart i am greeted by the same black screen after boot. I have this problem both with the kali distro for the raspberry pi 2 / 3 and for the raspberry pi 3 64bit.
    I would really apprechiate any help or even a hint.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kombu View Post
    Dear Pleople,

I have a problem I don't know how to deal with and I cannot really find any information regarding this.
    Everytime I try to set up Kali on my Raspberry Pi 3+ it goes wrong somehow. I first run apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade. During the upgrade, after the files were downloaded, so during unpacking the screen goes dark. Only the mouse cursor is still visible, flashing on and of every two seconds or so. The memory activity LED, i guess i can call it, stays on permanently and the pi gets pretty hot. After about 30 minutes i gave up on it and pulled the plug. When i restart i am greeted by the same black screen after boot. I have this problem both with the kali distro for the raspberry pi 2 / 3 and for the raspberry pi 3 64bit.
    I would really apprechiate any help or even a hint.

Thanks!
    I am in the process of upgrading from 14.04 to 15.04.Bluestacks Kodi Lucky Patcher The upgrade process was about half-way complete, then the screen went black. The monitor light is on (green) so it is not in a sleep mode. Also, the activity lights on the front of my computer lead me to believe that it is not frozen. I have an NVIDIA video card, so I have experienced the black screen after installing an upgrade before, and am familiar with resolving the issue. I have never had a black screen problem during an upgrade installation though. I am not sure how best to handle it. If I force a reboot will it completely destroy everything, or will the upgrade resume where it left off?
    Hitting the Enter key restored the display. Upgrade is still installing. Weird that the monitor was not in sleep mode and/or that moving the mouse did nothing....
    Last edited by kingbily; 2019-02-07 at 11:16. Reason: more details about upgrade

I am having the same problem, not sure of se card Is the issue, i am using Kingston 16gb class 10.

I have the same problem. Just bought RPI 3+ with 32GB Samsung EVO SD-card. The screen goes black in the middle of apt-get upgrade.
    I've used the Sticky-Fingers-Kali-Pi image and the nexmon-kali-linux image, same result; black screen.

[HARDWARE SOLVED] I just bought an Sandisk Extreme 64GB. I no longer get the black screen, same procedure as always: Rufus used to flash SD, once Kali-pi booted I commenced with apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade. It might have been the speed of the SD card, but I can not say for sure.