Thread: Wireless adaptor shows as its being connected but no option for networks popping up.

Wireless adaptor shows as its being connected but no option for networks popping up.

Distributor ID: Kali *64 bit*
    Description: Kali GNU/Linux Rolling
    Release: kali-rolling
    Codename: kali-rolling
    Running on: Virtual Box with 28963MB of RAM and 6 cores of my processor allocated to it.

Ok, so I've been working for a while with this OS now and had no problems so far. Until now. So I got this new wireless card (PAU 09) as my current PC doesn't have a wireless card already in it. By the way, before buying I checked, and yes it is perfectly compatible with Kali.

So here's the problem. It works perfectly when kali is booted from a Live Persistance USB. Networks show up and everything runs ok. So I want to try it on virtual box now as my USB is pretty slow. Yesterday, the wireless option was showing up on the top left upon plug-in but without any networks showing up! Now, not even the wireless option is present.

Help is really appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

1. Is the USB set to at least 2.0 on virtualbox itself (you need to install Vbox extensions on the host)?
    2. Ifconfig will not show interfaces that are down, you need to append '-a' options.
    3. Since it is a USB adapter, it may show in lsusb instead

Hi!
    1) Vbox extensions are indeed installed and the USB is set to 2.0
    2) In ifconfig -a, its not showing up either.
    3) It shows up in lsusb like so: "Bus 001 Device 002: ID 148f:5572 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5572 Wireless Adapter"

Anything relevant in dmesg?

There is a link of the image from the output of "dmesg" on the original post.