Thread: Install kali on 2 separate hard drives, 1-ssd for /boot aned a 2tb physical drive

Install kali on 2 separate hard drives, 1-ssd for /boot aned a 2tb physical drive

I've just purchased a new computer that has a 256GB ssd and a 2 TB HDD. I want to install just the bootable portion of the OS on the ssd, while installing the rest of the os on the 2TB drive. I look around the internet, via google, and only found any information on ubuntu pages. They installed /home along with the os on the ssd. So, what I'm looking to do is /boot/ on the ssd and the rest of the file system on the hdd. First, is this possible? Secondly could you point me to a site which has this done? Or help me do this? Thank you

Laptops don't always allows to choose which drive to install to. I know some laptops won't boot off the HDD, where it will boot just fine from the SSD (when both are present). My guess is that you'll need to do is install the bootloader on the SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_X View Post
    Laptops don't always allows to choose which drive to install to. I know some laptops won't boot off the HDD, where it will boot just fine from the SSD (when both are present). My guess is that you'll need to do is install the bootloader on the SSD.
    Thank you. I should've said it's a desktop. Installing the boot loader sounds like the place to start

I guess it can probably be the same on a desktop.

What you'll need to do is go through the graphical installation as you would normally until you reach the partition bit. You're going to want to select "Manuel". From there, you'll need to find your SSD in the list of all your attached drives there. Once you've found it, edit the largest partition, and shrink the size down about 600mb. This will give us free space to install Kali Linux's EFI. You need to click on the free space and make a new partition. Name it "Kali-EFI-Partition" or something along those lines so you remember what it is. Under "Use as" you'll need to select EFI. Select "Finish setting up the partition". Now you will need to find your 2tb HDD. If there's a partition shrink it to whatever you're happy with, the same way you did with the SSD. You'll need to make a new partition, this one will be called "Kali-Linux-Swap-Area" or something along those lines. You'll need to set the partitions "Use as" as Swap Area. In order to determine how much storage to use as your swap area, take a look at the table I provided. This next partition will be the last one and will take up all of the remaining free space you made when you shrank the previous partition on the HDD. Name this one "Kali-Linux-Ext4", and set the "Use as" to "Ext4 journaling file system". Set the size of this partition to occupy all the free space you made. After you select "Done setting up the partition" everything should be ready. I hope this helped!

Fe Godwn Ni Eto!

If your EFI partition is on your SDD then by default grub will also be installed there.