Thread: Kali Rolling AMD64 - sources.list - Can/Should Debian security/updates be added?

Kali Rolling AMD64 - sources.list - Can/Should Debian security/updates be added?

Hello everyone,

This is my first thread/post on this forum. Thanks for having me and also for taking the time to read my thread. I am running Kali Linux (Kali-Rolling) 2018.4 AMD64 which is the only distro/OS installed on this particular PC, directly to my HDD. My questions stem around Kali's apt sources.list file. I noticed within the SourcesList's Example section of Debian's official Wiki that entries related to security patches and updates were also suggested/present. Below I have listed a few questions that I have.

I would like to mention that prior to posting this thread I conducted a number of searches on Google (which turned up nothing definitive and/or conclusive) and I also did the same on this forum by using the Search function (which turned up nothing that I was able to find). Normally I would mess around and try different things based off of what I saw on Google before posting a thread, but not when it comes to the apt sources.list file (as I know this is a very common way people end up breaking their OS).

1) Can the entries found on Debian's Wiki link located above also be added to Kali's sources.list file while still functioning properly and delivering the same benefits with no consequences?

2) If they can be added, would I need to modify the existing entries listed on Debian's Wiki page to conform to Kali or would no changes be required?

3) Providing these entries can be added, should I include contrib, non-free, both, or neither?

Lastly, if it is okay I would like to ask one more short and simple question unrelated to the sources.list file.

4) When using Kali Linux (Kali-Rolling) 2018.4 AMD64 / Debian Stretch 9, is it proper to still use "apt-get" when using the apt package manager or is only using "apt" the correct way to go about using the package manager within the version of Kali that I have installed?

Once again, thank you all very much for allowing me to become a member of this forum as well as taking the time to read my thread.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Gnomey; 2019-02-07 at 00:59.

1. No. You'll break your kali sooner or later
    2. N/A
    3. N/A
    4. apt is pretty much a shortcut for most apt-get commands (and others starting with apt-). You can also use aptitude.

Actually Kali is a rolling release and uses the testing branch. In this case it's the upcoming debian 10 (aka buster). However, it (will) stays on the new testing branch even when debian buster is released

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_X View Post
    1. No. You'll break your kali sooner or later
    2. N/A
    3. N/A
    4. apt is pretty much a shortcut for most apt-get commands (and others starting with apt-). You can also use aptitude.

Actually Kali is a rolling release and uses the testing branch. In this case it's the upcoming debian 10 (aka buster). However, it (will) stays on the new testing branch even when debian buster is released
    Hello Mister X,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and give me the answers to my questions.