Thread: Kali Linux Not Detecting Touchpad Lenovo Legion y730

Kali Linux Not Detecting Touchpad Lenovo Legion y730

Hello Everyone,

I have combed the forums for days and still haven't been able to get the trackpad/touchpad on my laptop to work.

Lenovo Legion Y730-17 dual booted with W10 and Ubuntu. Kali is installed on External SSD. the trackpad does NOT work on live USB either.

I had an issue with the trackpad in Ubuntu, and using Ukuu, upgraded the kernel to 4.20.6 and the trackpad started working. When I noticed the issue in Kali, I tied apt dist-upgrade, I even compiled a custom kernel with the latest patches 4.19.13-20 hoping that some patch would solve this issue like it has for others using lenovo machines.

uname -a
    Linux KaliLegion 4.19.20-custom #1 SMP Fri Feb 8 12:53:27 EST 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux

root@KaliLegion:~# egrep -i 'synap|alps|etps|elan' /proc/bus/input/devices
    root@KaliLegion:~#

I know the device is an ELAN touchpad (the above egrep works properly when im booted into Ubuntu).

I dont really know how to figure out why it works in ubuntu and why it doesnt work in Kali. I am super disappointed the custom kernel with patches didnt resolve the issue. I did check out the latest kernel patch for 4.19 and in it, i saw some text referring to various models of Lenovo PCs. I am not sure if I need to make a bigger jump in kernel version, or if there is a driver.module I can load to get the trackpad working.

let me know if you need anymore output from my machine for troubleshooting.

I did some more digging between Ubuntu and Kali, i have an ELAN0504 i2c hid device.

acpidump shows two ELAN modles ELAN0504 and ELAN 2097

I recompiled the 4.19 kernel again, used make menuconfig to ensure anything i2c related was enabled, I also edited i2c_hid_core.c to include the ELAN0504 model.

Still No Joy

when i do a modprobe | grep i2c i only a few i2c modules.

dmesg | grep i2c shows nothing... not a single line... so im thinking something is missing or wrong with a i2c kernel module.

any tips or hits? should i just file a bug?