Thread: Can't reach Login Screen [Kali 4.19]

Can't reach Login Screen [Kali 4.19]

Hey everyone,

I've had this issue for a while now, and after all of the Googling I can do, I haven't been able to fix it. Originally, a couple months ago, I upgraded my current Kali OS from 4.18 to 4.19 through apt. After doing so, I found that booting into Kali 4.19 failed every time, there's just a single blinking '-' icon in the upper left hand corner which I'm forever stuck at unless I do a manual reboot. I've encountered this both on my host OS (which I dual boot with Windows 10 on separate SSDs) and in a VM. I'm able to boot back in just fine if I select the 4.18 kernel option from Grub. Booting into recovery mode hasn't been very helpful either, because the last few lines is just telling me nouveau 1.3.1 is being initiated, nothing looks like an error.

When they published the 4.19 Kali ISO, I figured installing from that would fix it. Unfortunately, the same issue happens, both on a boot USB stick and burning the image to a DVD and installing off that.

I'll give the last few lines of the output before I can login to the recovery shell, just in case it's helpful for someone. Is anyone else having this issue?
    If anyone has a fix for this, I would greatly appreciate some guidance on how to proceed. This has been very frustrating for the last couple months and sadly the new ISO didn't fix my issue like I hoped it would :/

Last few lines of output from recovery boot:
    [ 4.472319] fbcon: nouveaufb (fb0) is primary device
    [ 4.797029] Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 170x48
    [ 5.084424] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: fb0: nouveaufb frame buffer device
    [ 5.100277] [drm] Initialized nouveau 1.3.1 20120801 for 0000:01:00.0 on mirror 0

Sounds like graphics card driver issues.

Are you sure? Because I get the same output when running 4.18 in recovery mode, only 4.18 boots into the desktop environment without a problem. Did they change the compatibility of Nvidia drivers between kernel versions?

Might be due to nouveau but not entirely sure. You can try adding the parameter nouveau.modeset=0 (I think that's it, search in the forum, it has been mentioned a few times).

Next time, the output of what is the issue (instead of the recovery console) is more useful. If you can't copy/paste, make a screenshot (with your phone).

If you aren't already, try 2019.1 (and make sure the checksum is good before you burn it on the thumbdrive).

Alright I finally got it fixed and working again. You were right, it was an Nvidia issue. After getting the modeset=0 stuff working, I was able to reach the virtual shell environment, and from there download and install the latest stable Nvidia drivers. Once doing so, I was able to boot back into the desktop environment.

Thanks for the help!

Link to Nvidia drivers? I was tryin to install some recently they didnt work i uninstalled all its amazing my graphics card is running linux right now. ( hashcat isnt working )

I just went to the usual place:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Found my card and the correct Linux architecture, and downloaded the latest driver version that wasn't the beta driver.

nvidia.com