Thread: Gemini PDA - First Impression and Questions

Gemini PDA - First Impression and Questions

I got my Gemini PDA in the mail yesterday and I will say I really like the form factor, keyboard layout, and the battery seems good. Getting everything set up from the setup guide was easy.

Question 1) - It seems the kernel on this image is very old (3.18.41), I am guessing it can't be upgraded?
    Question 2) - I can't get the internal WLAN to go into monitoring mode. I can't even use lspci to look at what chipset it is. Any ideas - debugs below?
    Question 3) - When running apt dist-update, after reboot you can not get back into the GUI. I saw somewhere else this is an issue with systemd and might be fixed down the road?
    Question 4) - When running ip addr there are over 34 devices. Not sure what these all are, but when running airmom-ng it keeps asking, "Found phy0 with no interface assigned, would you like to assign one to it?". And the same for phy1. What is phy0?
    Question 5) - Do you think it would be possible to use the 4g data and voice inside Kali linux?

When running `airmon start wlan0`
    Code:
    Ethtool failed....
    Only Mac 80211devices on kernel 2.6.33 or higher are officially supported by airmon.
    When running `sudo ip link set wlan1 down && sudo iw dev wlan1 set type monitor`
    Code:
    command failed: Operation not supported (-95)
    Thanks!

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...i-pda-mon-mode

some info. and theres a new iso that i dont realy have as in at all to share. but easier tovask forgivness then permision lol
    http://http.re4son-kernel.com/?prefix=

Quote Originally Posted by clintonm9 View Post
    I got my Gemini PDA in the mail yesterday and I will say I really like the form factor, keyboard layout, and the battery seems good. Getting everything set up from the setup guide was easy.
    Welcome aboard :-)

Question 1) - It seems the kernel on this image is very old (3.18.41), I am guessing it can't be upgraded?
    Correct. The Gemini is basically an Android phone on steroids, but still an Android phone and the kernel is an Android kernel made for that hardware.

Question 2) - I can't get the internal WLAN to go into monitoring mode. I can't even use lspci to look at what chipset it is. Any ideas - debugs below?
    The internal chipset is a MediaTek SoC and does not support monitor mode.

Question 3) - When running apt dist-update, after reboot you can not get back into the GUI. I saw somewhere else this is an issue with systemd and might be fixed down the road?
    Still a work in progress. For now you can ssh into the Gemini and run:
    Code:
    sudo apt install systemd=239-12~bpo9+1 libsystemd0=239-12~bpo9+1 libnss-systemd=239-12~bpo9+1 libpam-systemd=239-12~bpo9+1 libcryptsetup4
    sudo apt-mark hold systemd
    to restore the login screen

Question 4) - When running ip addr there are over 34 devices. Not sure what these all are, but when running airmom-ng it keeps asking, "Found phy0 with no interface assigned, would you like to assign one to it?". And the same for phy1. What is phy0?
    That's the result of the Gemini being and Android Phone. Just ignore the airmon-ng prompts, get a tiny external dongle and put it into monitor mode manually.

Question 5) - Do you think it would be possible to use the 4g data and voice inside Kali linux?
    Definitely. It's being worked on

Thanks for all the info! I am will watching for updates. If there is anything you need me to test on the device I am here to help.