Thread: Trouble booting post Kali installation on 2008 Macbook Pro

Trouble booting post Kali installation on 2008 Macbook Pro

Hey guys, wonder if anyone here knows much about this. I?ve been trying to install Kali on my old machine (early 2008 MacBook Pro).

I went through the whole installation process without any hitches. I set up the partition to use the whole disk plus LVM in case I want to change things in the future. The issue arises when I try to boot up after the installation is finished. The Mac installation walk through on the Kali site says to boot to live mode again and do some work in the console. Problem is, when I boot the machine up, and try to go to "live mode," it runs a few checks and then just freezes.
    I?ve tried booting into recovery mode as well, but again it just runs a ton of checks and then seems to freeze. When the machine freezes there seems to be a very faint ?pop,? if that?s relevant at all. I can't for the life of me figure it out.

So then I tried just booting the OS right after installation, to see what happens. In this case, the screen goes black and prints the line:
    /dev/sda2: clean, <numbers> files, <numbers again> blocks
    and then my computer seems to freeze again.

I?ve read a bunch about what it could be and think that this could either be due to the NVIDIA card in the computer, something going on with partitioning of sda1 and sda2, or the fact that I'm trying to boot EFI instead of BIOS. But at this point I don't know how to figure out what the error is. I've never tried to put linux on a mac machine before and it's proving to be a head scratcher.

If there's not a solution, I may just try a hacky sort of way that's outlined in this tutorial.

Appreciate the help!

Hello,

What version are you using? I have Kali Linux 2 on MabBook Pro. Perhaps these resources could be helpful (a lot of software engineering stuff there too):

Update

The Kali and Macbook Pro engineering sources I didn't mention in my previous post:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...nal-2008-model
    https://www.quora.com/Can-I-use-kali-linux-on-macbook