Thread: Kali 19.1 issues when installing as virtual on VMware Workstation 15

Kali 19.1 issues when installing as virtual on VMware Workstation 15

Hi,

I tried to search for this issue for existing treads, but I couldn't find, so let me place my issues what I am experiencing here.

I have a Dell laptop 5370 and already have installed 18.4 without any issues.

Since 19.1 is out, I started a clean install, with the pre-OS Debian 9x 64. When installing 19.1 on VMware Workstation Pro 15.0.2 build-10952284, during installation the mouse doesn't work and in the middle of the installation, no NIC can be found. This is crazy since VMware offers a virtual NIC.

To make sure that 19.1 is fine, I downloaded 19.1 again and it still shows me these two issues. I also have VirtualBox 5.2.24 r128163 (Qt5.6.2), so installing 19.1 runs smoothly, so the issue is related with VMware.

I installed both 32x and 64x Installation in VMware, both are having issues.

To make sure that VMware is fine, I installed 18.4 again, and that runs smoothly. And yes, my laptop already had a cold restart.

I also experienced with the amount of RAM, CPU and disk, and also placed an external mouse; that external mouse even didn't work with 19.1 in VMware.

Could the issue be related to specific Dell hardware in combination with VMware Workstation?

Many thanks, and let me know what more information is needed to analyse further.

==== Update 1 ===
    I download the pre-installed VMware 19.1 x64 version, that worked. I figured out that this was built with VMware version 8.x, so I upgraded the asset to VMware 15.x. That also worked.

==== Update 2 ===
    Installing the 19.1 ISO in VMware version 8x and 9x works well; installing 10x till 15x are having issues.

Gr
    Last edited by SetZer0; 2019-03-01 at 23:02.

I also have exactly the same issue

In the meantime, you can download the prebuilt VMware image.

Keyboard should still work, and hit Ctrl-Alt-F3, hit Enter to open the console, then run `modprobe psmouse`. Use Alt-F4 (I think, not sure under which one X is, so just try the others if it's not X) and you're good to go. Or you can do the text install. It is possible to do the graphical install with just the keyboad.

Even in text mode, after probing network, it all hangs, completely

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_X View Post
    In the meantime, you can download the prebuilt VMware image.

Keyboard should still work, and hit Ctrl-Alt-F3, hit Enter to open the console, then run `modprobe psmouse`. Use Alt-F4 (I think, not sure under which one X is, so just try the others if it's not X) and you're good to go. Or you can do the text install. It is possible to do the graphical install with just the keyboad.

The point is that 19.1 doesn't work, and someone else is having the same issue. That is a fact. For me it has no sense to use a pre-installed image, I just want to install my own stuff and be in control. So in the meanwhile, I am using 18.4 which is pretty good.

I'm seeing the exact same problem with installation on the Microsoft Hyper-V Virtualization platform with 2019.1. Previous versions including 2018.4 would detect the hyper-V virtualized NIC with no problems, but 2019.1 does not detect it at all. Happy to do some troubleshooting on this if anyone has any advice.

Final update:

I download the "kali-linux-2019.1a-amd64.iso" and the install went smoothly, just what I expect from a trustable and reliable installation. At the end, version 19.1 for sure had some strange issues. I think this topic is worth to close and thank you all for the comments and support.

Gr

This appears to still be an issue when installing 2019.1a on Hyper-V boxes, at least with the 64 bit XFCE and Light variants.

Symptoms: When doing the install in text mode, it appears to be 'stuck' on a blue screen with no text shortly after you see it soliciting an IPv6 address. There's a couple of other interesting notes: when i press ctl-alt-f4 I see repeating entries that appear as follows:
    Mar 23 18:05:42 dhclient[5253]: XMT: Solicit on eth0, interval 121600ms. #this repeats periodically with the interval time increasing each time.

If I open ctl-alt-F2 and open a session I see that when I run # ip a I get 2 cards. Card one is loopack (l0) with IP 127.0.0.1 Card two is eth0 with a valid MAC address and two inet6 addresses (fd00... and fe80....). NO IPv4 addresses.

If I manually run # dhclient -v I see what appears to be a proper DHCP Discover, Offer, Request, and ACK to give me a valid address on my network (192.168.0.33). Running # ip a then properly shows that address. The ctl-alt-f4 screen then shows the DHCPDICOVER, DHCPOFFER, DHCPREQUEST, and DHCPACK for that address. But it still loops with the following message underneath.
    Mar 23 18:05:42 dhclient[5253]: XMT: Solicit on eth0, interval 118430ms.
    Mar 23 18:05:42 dhclient[5253]: XMT: Solicit on eth0, interval 120380ms.
    Mar 23 18:05:42 dhclient[5253]: XMT: Solicit on eth0, interval 118230ms. #and so on.. The ctl-alt-f1 install screen stays as a blue screen